Subsurface Positioning Device

05-04-2022 08:19 PM
Labels (1)
LewisBatic
New Contributor

Hello all,

I am a stormwater engineer looking for a solution.

Essentially, the organisation I work for maintain close to 1200km of underground drainage. This network is mapped through GIS however often what we find on site is considerably different to what is on GIS.

We have CCTV crews who send carts down pipes to conduct condition assessments. Ideally, we will have these crews complete condition assessments of the entire network over 10+ years. While they are capturing footage, I would like to simultaneously update our drainage alignments on GIS.

In short; I am after a piece of hardware that can be attached to the CCTV cart and sent through pipes to record information like XYZ coordinates exportable to GIS. Is this technology something you know of? The issue is once the device becomes sub-surface, it can no longer connect to satellites and needs to have its own positioning system of sorts.

Regards,

Lewis

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GrahamWood-HWC
New Contributor III

Hi Lewis
The secret sauce is in the distance encoder on the CCTV robot. Once you have a good standard of using start and end manhole information in the inspection database that is linkable to the GIS you are then able to use linear referencing tools in ArcPro/ArcMap to place defects along the pipes in the GIS.

I've previously got the data from the Wincan database into defects and photos as a layer in the GIS.

TimHayes3
Occasional Contributor

Lewis, 

You may want to check this system out: https://cuesinc.com/equipment/accurate-mapping-probe-amp

0 Kudos