Creation of a simple field editing map

03-03-2022 09:07 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

So I'm thinking this SHOULD be relatively straight forward but it is driving me up the wall.

I need to create a field editing map to be used in Field Maps with UN Data.  Pro 2.7, Enterprise 10.8.1 with all patches applied.

We started off using Definition Queries on each layer.  So we would add water device in set a def query for flow valves and then symbolize accordingly.  This appeared to be working well until we started looking at domains. 

manufacturer.png

 If we go back to the original document it makes sense.  The layer was copied multiple times with the def query set for each asset group, however the domain value for the particular feature was being shared. For example, Water lines has a def query set for both laterals and mains.  This is how field staff is accustomed to viewing data in the field.  If you try to set the material type for laterals to "lateral material type" you end up changing the main as well.

laterals.png

 The screenshot above is the domain set for Laterals. If I then make the change on the Mains to Main Material Type it will revert service lines.  It makes sense as we are not dealing with the subtype groups but the straight feature class itself.  

Subtype group layers are out since they can't be published as feature services.  

Question: Why is it so hard to create what should be a simple editing map?  Question 2: I'm sure I'm making this too hard and there has to be a simple answer so please any help would be awesome!

Thanks.  

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It looks like the issue may have been copying the layer and then updating the def. query.  If we just add the layer in and set the def query instead of copying it the domains seem to be honored. More testing to do, but promising

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This looks to be a known bug  BUG-000127489: Services published to Portal for ArcGIS containing features symbolized using coded domains do not contain the domain description in the Map Viewer when viewing the data legend.

We still have no easy solution for publishing an editable field map.  We had to revert to the old water model symbology as the field staff was used to those symbols.  When editing in field maps they just get a code for asset group and asset type but rely on the symbols to know what they are editing.  If anyone from solutions is listening, a mobile field editing template would be nice for anyone who wants to ever edit in the field...

0 Kudos