HECGeoRAS Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

06-14-2013 01:45 PM
DavidFrench3
New Contributor
Hi all,
I am attempting to delineate floodplains (I have already done layer set-up, import RAS, create water surfaces, etc.) and each time I try to use this function, I receive the error:
HECGeoRAS Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

I have restarted the process with a fresh .mxd and new grids, etc. but receive the same error each time.
Anyone run into the same issue?  Have you found a solution or workaround?
Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
David,

Please be more specific about the version of HEC GeoRAS and ArcGIS for Desktop you are using. Also, you need to identify the data types you are working with.

Stuart
0 Kudos
DavidFrench3
New Contributor
Hi Stuart,
I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 with the HEC-GeoRAS 10.1 toolbar.
I am attempting to delineate floodplains for 2, 10, 25, 50, and 100 year floods using a surface elevation   raster GRID.  The .gdb, bounding polygons, XS, etc. were created without error, as were the water surface TINs.  The error occurs when I attempt to delineate the floodplain (resulting in a raster with cell values indicating water depth)
0 Kudos
MattMead
New Contributor III
You can skip the georas floodplain delineation by just using your water surface TIN and a terrain TIN with this tool(link below).  Intersect TIN creates a polygon of your floodplain area and a TIN of the depths.  I prefer using this over TIN difference/TIN compare because it creates both files at once instead of having to set up two separate processes.  It is for older versions of Arc, but still works just fine in 10.1 but it does require 3danalyst extension.

http://resources.esri.com/help/9.3/arcgisdesktop/com/samples/3D_Analyst/Surface_Analysis/Intersect_T...
0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor
I am using ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 with the HEC-GeoRAS 10.1 toolbar.

What license of ArcGIS 10.1 for Desktop (Advanced, Stadard, or Basic), and have you applied SP1?  Do you have license for 3D analyst and have you activated it from its checkbox on the Customize --> Extensions panel?

What source for the HEC GeoRAS beta toolbar? Current build is 10.1.0.23 (dtd 2013-02-28), what shows for it if you run "appwiz.cpl" from the run box?

Stuart
0 Kudos
DavidFrench3
New Contributor
Hi Stuart,
I'm running Arcgis 10.1.3143 (Basic license) and have applied SP1.
HEC Geo-RAS is 10.1.0.16 and HEC-RAS 4.1.0

Would updating the HEC Geo-RAS and HEC-RAS add-ins help this issue?
I believe the RAS output files were created with HEC-RAS 4.1.0, would updating my machine (the modeling is done by a different staff member on another machine) result in issues opening/analyzing his/her outputs?

The 3D analyst/spatial analyst extensions are active...

As for using the terrain/water surface TINS, could I then interpolate a raster for depths/velocities somehow?  Are the resulting TINs compatible with the other HEC GeoRas functions?

Thanks,
David
0 Kudos
DavidFrench3
New Contributor
So after troubleshooting over the weekend with no success...I did a complete re-install for HEC-RAS and HEC Geo-RAS and created a new folder/paths for the RAS export files.
Moving everything to a fresh folder with shorter, simple pathnames on my local drive seemed to make things run correctly.
Not sure why this happened all of a sudden, as I've processed other HEC-RAS files without this issue (even the same day as when the issue began). 

Thanks for the help and responses.  If this comes up again I'll return to this thread for further help!

Cheers,
David
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Over time I've collected several "tips" for using Arc Hydro. I summarized them here: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/48100-ArcHydro-Problem-Solvers?p=270146&viewfull=1#post270146. I have a word version attached at the link.

The simplified names is one of the tips. Also, putting the project on your local C: drive eliminates the drag of the network data back-and-forth and speeds up the processing as well as (possibly) reduces transmission errors.

I've not used GeoRAS yet, but suspect that any project using geoprocessing will benefit from the tips.
0 Kudos
JenniferBuchanan
New Contributor
This error happens only when writing across our network, but the floodplain delineation works fine when I run it on my local c drive.
JonathanTercero_Zeledón
New Contributor
Hey fellows, i have a similar situation ,but working at HEC-HMS ,when we try to create the basin Model ,the program shows a error Message HRESULT E_FAIL has returned from a Call ... Please, give us a recomendation about this issue,