Arc Hydro for ArcPro 3 fails to run in old projects

Jump to solution
09-15-2022 02:19 PM
Labels (2)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Passing along a learned lesson.

I have upgraded my ArcPro to version 3 and have installed the newly available Arc Hydro 3.0.21. When I open an existing project created prior to ArcPro 3 and try to run any ArcHydro tools I get a "Tool has failed to open" message. This still occurs after saving the project under ArcPro 3.

However, when I start a new project with ArcPro 3 and try to run any Arc Hydro tool everything goes ok. 

Lesson learned, after upgrading to ArcPro 3, any old projects created under ArcPro 2.x will not be able to utilize any ArcHydro tools.

Tom

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After a some very helpful discussions with Dean there is a solution. It seems the new Python Package Manager was my problem. I had created a clone and added some additional packages. While that clone was active I could not use some of the Arc Hydro tools. When I switched the active environment back to the default then all the Arc Hydro tools were useable.

The solution is just a matter of switching between Python environments.

Thanks for the help Dean.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DeanDjokic
Esri Contributor

Tom,

This is not quite the experience i have seen.  Just tried on my machine and opened over a year old aprx in Pro 3.0 with AH tools and the tools just worked.  I run one from the history (was suspecting that this might be a problem) and one "fresh" and they both worked.  Are you able to run any other geoprocessing tools  (non Arc Hydro) within that project?  And have you tried with another legacy project?  We'll put a new 3.0 build out tomorrow (just in case, and with some new tools), but would be good if you can try to run any other gp tools first to just see if there is something wrong with the aprx.

Dean

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Dean,

To be fair I had checked only a few of the tools that I had been using in my old project. Upon further investigation I can say that some tools do open and will be usable. There does not seem to be any obvious pattern to which tools may work and which will not. I have not checked every tool but there are many that do not open in my old project.

I have checked all the tools in the category of Terrain Preprocessing/DEM Manipulation and found all but one give me the fail message. The Sink Selection tool is the only one in that group of fifteen that opened.

For the time being I am happy enough using a new project and just copying over needed layers.

Tom

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Continuing to have problems with some tools failing to open. 

Have determined the common factor for the fails is this message, "ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'apwrutils'".

I found the module and it seems to be the correct file in the correct place. So I must be missing something, just not sure what.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did an uninstall and reinstall of ArcGIS Pro 3 and Arc Hydro hoping to resolve this. No change, same tools fail to open. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

After a some very helpful discussions with Dean there is a solution. It seems the new Python Package Manager was my problem. I had created a clone and added some additional packages. While that clone was active I could not use some of the Arc Hydro tools. When I switched the active environment back to the default then all the Arc Hydro tools were useable.

The solution is just a matter of switching between Python environments.

Thanks for the help Dean.