Trace Network Shortest path errors with 999999

Jump to solution
03-21-2021 08:34 PM
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have tried rebuilding the network. Find connected works, but shortest path errors with 999999.

This was working when i was preparing a lab for my students a month ago but not at all now. I think I'm going to have to go back to ArcMap this week. 😞

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Good morning Curt,

I am sorry to hear of the frustration caused by this issue.  From the description it sounds as though you are encountering an issue (BUG-000138339) we have addressed in the 2.8 release.  As you noted, this is caused due to the omission of a Path Direction when the Trace tool is launched from the Tools gallery with a Shortest Path trace.  

This behavior is only encountered when launching the trace from the Tools gallery and should not be encountered when opening the Trace tool from the Geoprocessing pane and choosing the Shortest Path trace type, or if a Path Direction is specified after launching the tool.

- Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi everyone again. I just got around this error by specifying the Path Direction.

I have a bug logged to Esri that Path Direction and Shortest Path Network Attribute name should be set by parameter validation to be required properties when  Trace Type is set to Shortest Path. Neither are. If I leave out Path Direction I get the dreaded 999999 error. If I leave out Shortest Path Network Attribute name I don't get a validation error, the tool runs and I get a error message.

It baffles me why this wasn't done when this tool validation was written by Esri! It's pretty basic parameter validation. To the point of annoyance!

Tags (1)
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Good morning Curt,

I am sorry to hear of the frustration caused by this issue.  From the description it sounds as though you are encountering an issue (BUG-000138339) we have addressed in the 2.8 release.  As you noted, this is caused due to the omission of a Path Direction when the Trace tool is launched from the Tools gallery with a Shortest Path trace.  

This behavior is only encountered when launching the trace from the Tools gallery and should not be encountered when opening the Trace tool from the Geoprocessing pane and choosing the Shortest Path trace type, or if a Path Direction is specified after launching the tool.

- Jon

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thank you Jon!  This morning I got my students started on their brand new lab (upgraded from Geometric Networks to Trace Networks for this year's edition.  Looking forward to the trace network improvements as time goes on, I know it's a new thing so we will want more functionality but I like the design so far. 

Everyone, be sure and check out Jon's blog post about the trace network. So glad Esri has managed to get this done - the trace network is especially useful to me for teaching students about network analysis without the overhead of the Utility Network, and doing analysis with the USGS NHD and NHDPlus though I'm sure others are glad to see it for other reasons.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/data-management/introducing-the-trace-network-w...

0 Kudos