Display service area outages on map

02-16-2022 04:50 AM
TerryMergl
New Contributor III

Good morning.

For transparency I am still pretty green with ArcMap (10.6.1).  What I am after may be doable, or not.  As a small telecom/ISP/video provider for a small serviceable area - we have a few tools for polling and minimal outage reports, but primarily for employee use.  As of now our HFC plant has more service affecting tools available to us than our FTTx plant.   A friend who works for an area utility mentioned a way he joins/pulls in data to a feature class in Arc Catalog to get onto a map based on just a couple fields to flag.

So I guess my question is:  could I use our current snmp polling data/traps and somehow get that to Arc to put on a map for viewing?   I won't worry about polygons or anything complicated, I am curious if this at all could be done.    Our inhouse software/engineering/crm is a robust platform - just never really tackled service affecting issues on a whole.

Thanks in advance

Terry

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EdwardGause
New Contributor III
Keep in mind, if you have both Fiber to Home and Coax to Home that overlapped, then showing that Coax is down might be confusing for a Fiber Customer in that same area where overlap occurs.
As a company, we decided not to show polygon based areas as outages to public facing, because where we overbuilt Fiber in a Coax area, could cause confusion to Fiber customers when we try to say the Coax Network is down in their same area due to overlap. Now imagen a news agencies trying to figure out what major entities like a First Responder location, of lets say Hospital, is down and they see that there are Hospitals in the down Coax Area, but the Hospital is on Fiber and is currently not down. That news agencies doesn't know that the Hospital is served by Fiber and is up, all they see is the Hospital is in that Coax Area that is down currently.
So, it can be confusing to customers when your company offers services over different media like Copper, Fiber and Coax and you use and Area Polygon to say they are down.
So you might want an executive decision on whether you do that or not, based on whether they are willing for the confusion so that customers have a better idea of what locations are out currently.
Robert “Edward” Gause, GISP | Director of Information Services | HTC | p 843-369-8483 | www.htcinc.net | This is life. Connet with it.
0 Kudos
TerryMergl
New Contributor III

Thanks Edward for that.   FTTx is the only plant I am focused on.   For the time being, this little project if it can be done, will be for a couple of providers and contractors for the time being.  

Terry

0 Kudos