My Top 10 ArcGIS 10.7 Features

02-28-2019 11:13 AM
SpatialNinja
Esri Regular Contributor
7 4 4,950

Many new features and apps were released in the 10.7 version of ArcGIS. Here are my top 10.

10. Reports in ArcGIS Pro

New in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 is Reports. For those that leveraged CrystalReports in ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro now supports an all Esri based report template capability. Its great for dynamically adding attributes from your data and an inset map into a PDF report. 

Spatial Ninja Pro Tip: Reports in ArcGIS Pro—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

9. Spellcheck in ArcGIS Pro

Spelchek!!! yay!! This is one of my favorite updates to Pro in the 2.3 release. The ability to run spellcheck against your map layouts, attributes, and popups is a long awaited enhancement to Pro. 

Spatial Ninja Pro Tip: What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 - YouTube 

8. Shared Instances in ArcGIS Server

For those who have managed an ArcGIS Server, you are aware of the RAM hogging SOC processes that support all of services running on that machine. New at 10.7, shared instances allows for a 1:M relationship between SOC processes and service definitions: a shared service instance (SOC process) can service requests for multiple services. 

When publishing a map service, and setting it to use shared instances, the added memory cost of the new service is effectively zero. Instead of creating a dedicated pool of service instances (SOCs) the service will be handled by the shared instance pool.

7. Distributed Collaboration

Distributed collaboration allows for portals to share layers and content through a collaboration group. Items can be referenced or copied based on a set time interval. New at 10.7 is support for Insights workbooks, view layers, and the ability to pause and resume collaboration sync. 

6. Cost Analysis Widget for Web AppBuilder

A new widget called Cost Analysis is now available in Web AppBuilder. The Cost Analysis widget allows you to set up an editing template with a cost associated to each feature. So if I am planning a fiber network I can have the widget automatically total up the cost of the build. You'll also have the ability to add additional costs or multipliers based on territories or manual input. 

5. Tracker for ArcGIS

Tracker for ArcGIS is a new mobile app that allows organizations to track the locations of their mobile workers.  Tracks can be recorded while online or offline, and Tracker can be scheduled to record location only during business hours. The location tracks can be viewed in the Tracker web application or brought into any web map as a layer.

4. Collector for ArcGIS

The latest version of Collector, code named Aurora, was released in November on 2018. This new version enabled better mapping with support for vector tiles and labeling, a new interface for collecting data, a better offline experience for users, and smarter forms to support barcode scanning. Grouping of fields and snapping are coming later this year.

3. ArcGIS Notebooks

ArcGIS Notebooks is a web-based, interactive, computational environment for you to write, document, and run code all in one place. It is based on the is a popular open source notebook environment, Jupyter. Python is the main scripting language for ArcGIS, and can be accessed and run in many locations across ArcGIS. ArcGIS Notebooks provides a more integrated experience within the Web GIS.

2. in_memory workspace in ArcGIS Pro

In the 2.3 release of ArcGIS Pro the ability to have an in_memory workspace was added. This means you can now write the output results of a geoprcoessing tool to memory for use as intermediate data.

Spatial Ninja Pro Tip: What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.3—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

1. ArcGIS Indoors

ArcGIS Indoors allows your organization to create 2D/3D indoor maps and mage indoor assets. These indoor maps can be generated from CAD and BIM and indoor routing can be configured through ArcGIS Pro.

Spatial Ninja Pro Tip: Indoor Mapping System | ArcGIS Indoors 

Patrick Huls

Solution Engineer Team Lead - Telecommunications

LinkedIn: Patrick Huls| Twitter: @SpatialNinja| GeoNet:Phuls-esristaff

Tags (1)
4 Comments
About the Author
As a solutions engineer for the Telecommunications industry at Esri, I am responsible for understanding the technology needs of the telecom market, helping organizations with their geospatial strategy, and ensuring customer success with GIS. Prior to my work at Esri, I was a GIS Analyst with a consulting firm that worked closely with large utility, construction, and engineering firms on utility and telecom construction projects. There, I designed and built an enterprise wide location platform which incorporated server, desktop, web, and mobile components. Email: phuls@esri.com LinkedIn: Patrick Huls X: @SpatialNinja