Windows 11: A Seamless Migration

11-09-2021 09:02 AM
MadelineEricson
Esri Contributor
1 3 1,058

You don't have time to worry if the programs you use are going to keep pace when your hardware or operating systems change. We wanted to reassure you that Esri is already hard at work testing ArcGIS with Windows 11 to ensure your seamless transition to the new operating system later this year.

With active Esri maintenance or a subscription, you can be confident that any ArcGIS product in the General Availability phase of the Esri Product Lifecycle will continue to be certified with your new operating systems, browsers, and databases. To learn about what's included in your compatibility testing benefit, read our comprehensive testing blog: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis/administration/esri-compatibility-testing-to-reduce...

3 Comments
ImogeneBump
New Contributor

Hello,

Will ArcGIS Desktop Enterprise 10.6.1 be certified against Windows 11?  I see that it has been certified against 10.8 for a little while now.  10.6.1 is still being supported.

Thank you,

Imogene Bump

Silicon Valley Power

MadelineEricson
Esri Contributor

Hi @ImogeneBump,

Thank you for the question! As part of users' active maintenance and subscriptions, Esri conducts compatibility testing on ArcGIS versions in the General Availability stage of the Esri Product Lifecycle. Once versions leave the General Availability stage and transition into Extended Availability, they are no longer certified on new environments.

For ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1, that version of Desktop is unfortunately no longer in General Availability stage; it has transitioned to Mature Support (so it will not be certified against Windows 11). More details on ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1's current status can be found on its Product Lifecycle page. As you noted, ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.2 (our patched long-term support version of 10.8.1), is certified on Windows 11 Pro and Enterprise. Citing ArcGIS Desktop 10.8.2 is now in Extended Support, that will be the last supported Windows release we certify on.

Esri continues to certify ArcGIS Pro on the latest releases of Windows for our power GIS users like you. The focus for ArcGIS Pro 2.8 and 2.9 (latest version as of this posting) really had a focus on quality with over 100 bug fixes and enhancements delivered to the users. I would encourage you to check it out if you have access in your organization. If you don't, the latest version of ArcGIS Pro can be purchased on the Esri Store.

Likewise, the ArcGIS Pro 3.0 release planned for June delivers capability parity to ArcGIS Desktop in even specialized areas. I see you are one of our Utilities users, and I know important updates were made in Pro 2.8-3.0 in the delivery of additional functions for you with respect to the new ArcGIS Utility Network data management framework. ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop can be installed on the same machine simultaneously to facilitate a gradual move for our users. Likewise, there are great self-paced skill building courses for existing ArcGIS Desktop users on the Esri Academy training site. Here is the learning plan for moving to ArcGIS Pro.

I would be happy to have one of our Utilities staff members reach out to brainstorm with you on your individual situation if you'd like? They're all salaried (not commission based), so there's no pressure with the conversation, and I know sometimes it can help to speak to a human! 🙂 You can email me at mericson@esri.com if you'd like.

Best,
Madeline

ImogeneBump
New Contributor

Thank you very much for the information, Madeline.  We will consider our options.

Imogene