Date Format for Space Time Cube?

Jump to solution
08-05-2022 11:48 AM
ChristineBaver
New Contributor II

I apologize for creating another thread. 

Using Create Space Time Cube geoprocessing tool, using ArcGIS Pro 2.7. 

My data is collected monthly (on the last day of the month). The DD value is always 28, 29, 30 or 31. I would like to use the Space Time Cube with a time step of 1 Month(s). Upon using some of the other tools this week, I realized I should not have been so quick to disregard the warning messages that came when I initially created the space time cube. 

When I input my date field with no temporal aggregation, I obtain the warning that of my defined locations have more than 1 record for each time step. 

When I input my date field with a temporal aggregation of 1 month(s), I obtained the error that my defined locations had less than 1 record for each time step. 

I've tried the changing my date format into yyyy-mm-dd format (and other formats), but upon importing the CSV, the date is automatically switching back to mm/dd/yyyy. The ESRI videos online seem to indicate that mm/dd/yyyy date format is fine. The date field is recognized as a date field and I have no issues selecting the Time Field within the Create Space Time Cube tool.  

I confirmed that I have no duplicates (none of my location IDs have more than 1 record per date). 

Any suggestions for what I should try next? I'd prefer not to look at my data yearly. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

Hi Christine,

I don't think the problem is the date format. I think the problem is that you have incomplete data. Check to make sure you have a data value for every month, for every well. If you are missing just a few data entries here and there, the Fill Missing Values tool may be able to estimate the missing data. I'm pretty sure (not positive) you would still need, at minimum, a data entry for the first and last month for every well. I hope this helps!

Lauren

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LaurenGriffin
Esri Contributor

Hi Christine,

I don't think the problem is the date format. I think the problem is that you have incomplete data. Check to make sure you have a data value for every month, for every well. If you are missing just a few data entries here and there, the Fill Missing Values tool may be able to estimate the missing data. I'm pretty sure (not positive) you would still need, at minimum, a data entry for the first and last month for every well. I hope this helps!

Lauren

0 Kudos
ChristineBaver
New Contributor II

Thank you! I did have a lot of missing data, maybe a little too many to handle by using filling empty bins with zeros within the Create Space Time Cube geoprocessing tool. I was successful after truncating my data to a more "complete" time interval.