Check overlay buildings and attribute the polygon data to specific layer

Jump to solution
01-10-2021 04:23 AM
EliasIs
New Contributor II

Hello, I have two polygon layers, I want to compare between these layers and attribute polygon data from one to another based on overlay between buildings.
Example: In the following picture, the data (alfa numeric) that I need from attribute table is in the red layer, and the shape of the polygon (vector) that I need is in the yellow layer. I am looking for tool to check the overlay between the polygons, take the yellow shape instead of the red one (there may be two red polygons or more that will be one yellow polygon), and convert red shape polygon to the yellow one with the red polygon data.

Buildings.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Certainly, the field mapping becomes useful in this case.

You can specify a rule to any of the field mappings which dictates what to do when multiple coincident features are found.  In this case, we would use 'Join' to produce delimited values.

The article here explains it very well Spatial Join’s hidden trick or how to transfer attribute values in a One to Many relationship | Esri...

If however you want to essentially create a new feature (with yellow's geometry) for every intersecting red feature, I think it will need to be scripted, though I've not given it any intense thought.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm not entirely sure of the process you've described, but attribute data can easily be transferred according to spatial relationship using the Spatial Join tool. Spatial Join (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

This will create a new feature class retaining the geometry of your target feature class (yellow), where you can also choose whether to keep all features, or only those that coincide with the red polygons.  In the field mapping, you will also be able to control which field(s) are transferred to the new feature class.

0 Kudos
EliasIs
New Contributor II

Thanks for your answer David.

I think that you understood the issue. Actually, the new feature class which I'm willing to produce will contain the geometry from the yellow layer, and the data from the red layer.
The problem is in the right buildings (in the photo) which there are two red polygons that are actually one polygon in the yellow layer, so the result should be a polygon of the yellow geometry and the data of the two red polygons.

Notice: the relation is many to many, so may be the opposite situation, i.e. 3 yellow polygons with 1 red polygon geometry

Is the solution you described above works on this issue as well?

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Certainly, the field mapping becomes useful in this case.

You can specify a rule to any of the field mappings which dictates what to do when multiple coincident features are found.  In this case, we would use 'Join' to produce delimited values.

The article here explains it very well Spatial Join’s hidden trick or how to transfer attribute values in a One to Many relationship | Esri...

If however you want to essentially create a new feature (with yellow's geometry) for every intersecting red feature, I think it will need to be scripted, though I've not given it any intense thought.

EliasIs
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot David.

Actually, updating the "yellow layer" without creating a new feature is possible idea.