Event Dissolve in ALRS?

02-13-2023 01:16 PM
Labels (3)
KevinHunt
New Contributor III

Hello RHUG!

We recently discovered instances of adjacent traffic station locations with the same traffic station ID in an internal RH event feature class.  I told the data owner, "no worries...we'll run an event dissolve to merge the adjacent event records".    Then I went looking for the Location Referencing "Dissolve Events" tool and didn't find one.  The GP tool I was thinking of was the "Dissolve Route Events" tool in the Linear Referencing Tools toolbox.  

Is there a 'manufacturer-approved' way to dissolve adjacent events in an internal RH event feature class?  

1 Reply
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@KevinHunt This is a good use case, few questions:

• Is it just one layer where you need to run dissolve on Event features? If no, what other layers can benefit from this?
  • Within an Event feature class how prevalent are records that need to be dissolved? 
  • How often do you need to run this operation on Event features? 

As you rightly noted, the "Dissolve Route Events" tool is in the Linear Referencing Tools. The tool allows you to specify dissolve field(s) as well as combine adjacent events. However, the output is created as a new table (not in-place). The tool will work great as part of initial/bulk load of events as a precursor to "Append Events".

Few options to consider:   

Event Editor will merge events few records at a time - no layer level dissolve. Based on the responses to the questions, consider logging an ArcGIS Idea that RHUG community  can upvote.

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
0 Kudos