"Failed to load notebook" when using custom environment

11-21-2022 03:38 AM
A_Schwab
New Contributor III

I've set up a cloned custom Python environment in ArcPro 3.0.2 to set up the r-arcgisbridge package.

Cloning the environment and installing the package work ok, but when opening a notebook, I get an error, "Failed to load notebook".

If I switch back to the default environment I can load a notebook ok.

Any advice on how to fix this?

12 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This package was installed?

Install the Conda package r-arcgis-essentials

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
A_Schwab
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan, I've tried installing `r-arcgis-essentials` but it throws an error:

Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): ...working... done
Solving environment: ...working... failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: ...working... failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): ...working... done
Solving environment: ...working... failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Building graph of deps: 0%| | 0/4 [00:00<?, ?it/s]
Examining @/win-64::__win==0=0: 0%| | 0/4 [00:00<?, ?it/s]
Examining python=3.9: 25%|##5 | 1/4 [00:00<?, ?it/s]
Examining @/win-64::__archspec==1=x86_64: 50%|##### | 2/4 [00:00<00:00, 12.28it/s]
Examining @/win-64::__archspec==1=x86_64: 75%|#######5 | 3/4 [00:00<00:00, 18.43it/s]
Examining r-arcgis-essentials=1.1: 75%|#######5 | 3/4 [00:00<00:00, 18.43it/s]

Determining conflicts: 0%| | 0/4 [00:00<?, ?it/s]
Examining conflict for python r-arcgis-essentials: 0%| | 0/4 [00:00<?, ?it/s]

Solving environment: ...working...
Found conflicts! Looking for incompatible packages.
This can take several minutes. Press CTRL-C to abort.
failed
UnsatisfiableError: The following specifications were found to be incompatible with each other:
Output in format: Requested package -> Available versions

0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

The 1.1 version of the package is targeting a newer release of R (4.1), and unfortunately that version isn't available in the default channels. Because 1.1 gets selected from the UI automatically, I've removed it from our channel for the time being until we sort out the R version problem. Thanks for reporting this, and let me know if you can install r-arcgis-essentials again.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

windows machine?

Files :: Anaconda.org

looks like there have only been 10 downloads in the last 7 months.

I'll see if there is a more appropriate place to move this thread.

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You might want to have a look over here too

R-ArcGIS/r-bridge-install: Install the R ArcGIS Tools (github.com)

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
HeatherChamberlain
New Contributor II

Did you find any resolution for this? I'm getting the same issue with installing geopandas and rasterio packages in a cloned environment. If I switch back to the default environment then Notebook loads fine. I've tried reinstalling ArcGIS Pro (3.0.0) and no change and I get the exact same issue if I do the same on another PC (with ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2). The later comments on this thread suggest this might be a new issue but no clear solution at this point https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-pro-questions/getting-an-error-quot-failed-to-load-notebook-quo...

0 Kudos
A_Schwab
New Contributor III

Sadly not - I tried a few different things but none of them worked so in the end I gave up.

0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

We recently upgraded the Notebook stack provided on the Esri channel in preparation for the Pro 3.1 release, and think that this is causing the regression in custom environments. I've logged an issue for this and will update the thread once we have a solution available. Sorry for the trouble with custom environments.

Cheers, Shaun

0 Kudos
melissaur1039
New Contributor

I just want to verify that I'm understanding this issue. I am also getting the same error with the inconsistent environment when trying to install or upgrade packages in a cloned environment. I haven't tried installing these to the default environment because I don't want to mess anything up and have to reinstall Pro and the deep learning stuff.

Shaun, you're saying this error may be caused by an upgrade to the "notebook stack" on your end and we are just waiting on a solution before we can use cloned environments?

0 Kudos