arcgisbinding in RStudio, fatal error after update

Jump to solution
09-28-2022 10:33 AM
DominicCiolli
New Contributor

Hello everybody, I realize this is very similar in subject line to a post from three years ago but I found that several days ago and still cannot get to fixed.

I recently updated to the most recent version of ArcGIS Pro (3.0.2) and now whenever I try to use arcgisbinding R crashes immediately. The package loads and arc.check_product is able to attach but if I use any functions I get an immediate fatal error. Would love some help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

What versions of R and RStudio are you working with? If possible, please try upgrading to R 4.2 as there are some known issues with earlier releases of R and the bridge in certain cases. If that doesn't help, post back here and we can dig in further.

Cheers, Shaun

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

What versions of R and RStudio are you working with? If possible, please try upgrading to R 4.2 as there are some known issues with earlier releases of R and the bridge in certain cases. If that doesn't help, post back here and we can dig in further.

Cheers, Shaun

0 Kudos
AndrewPadilla
Occasional Contributor

I have updated to R 4.2.2 with RStudio 2022.07.1+554 and still get the issue. I can run arc.check_product()

product: ArcGIS Pro (13.0.0.36056)
license: Advanced
version: 1.0.1.300 

but RStudio session aborts when I try arc.open():

ozone.path <- system.file("extdata", "ca_ozone_pts.shp",
package="arcgisbinding")
ozone.arc.dataset <- arc.open(ozone.path)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you able to see if the same code works from a plain RGui 4.2.2 session independently of RStudio? Can you check for any crash dumps in %LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps with names like "rsession*.dmp" and if any of those files exist, send one to me via private message? I can look at what the crash itself says. Finally, could you share what licensing mechanism you're using, and whether opening ArcGIS Pro itself is working OK? Thanks!

0 Kudos
DominicCiolli
New Contributor

Yup, that was it! I've been updating RStudio but not R itself 😐  I got it working, thanks Shaun!