Python LSP never starts so debugging won't work. (Spyder)

Jump to solution
06-30-2022 01:45 PM
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III

I can't get my debugger to work in Spyder. I think it is related to the starting of the LSP Python, it just spins and spins.

LSP Python is visible at the bottom of the Spyder IDE environment. (See attached image)

Running code outside of debug works.

I installed Spyder using  Esri docs Pro (clone environment, install spyder etc). No issues, install seemed to go successfully.

Pro 3.0

Python 3.9.11

Spyder 5.1.5

Windows Server 2012

Thanks for any tips,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I had the same issue and have been unable to track down the issue.  I even raised it on the Spyder Github site.

A recent thread provides some potential solutions.

Duncan's will work if you are using spyder in a clone.

Solved: Re: Code completion not working in Spyder 5.1.5 af... - Esri Community

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

What is "LSP Python", I found about a dozen different matches for that.

0 Kudos
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III

Thanks for replying. It is the  Language Server Protocol (LSP) . Protocols for making stuff like code-complete work.  I am assuming it also influences the debugger since I can't get debugging to work. On another mahine LSP is started and debugger is cool.

When you fire up Spyder you can see the icon on the status bar at the bottom. (see the attachment I sent).

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I had the same issue and have been unable to track down the issue.  I even raised it on the Spyder Github site.

A recent thread provides some potential solutions.

Duncan's will work if you are using spyder in a clone.

Solved: Re: Code completion not working in Spyder 5.1.5 af... - Esri Community

... sort of retired...
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III

Thanks Dan. 

Upgrading Spyder solved it. degugger is cool and no "spinning LSP"

Note: I received a permission error mentioning certain folders when I ran pip install. I called my sys admin who logged on as himself but ran it under the account I use and spyder upgraded successfully.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Install usually requires admin privileges, maybe they can upgrade your permission level... if you call them often enough 😉

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ShawnCarson
New Contributor III

It is strange, they gave me rights and  when I look, I am wide open on all folders (Admin rights) . I am able to install etc,  never had an issue except for this one. This is a weird one, 

0 Kudos