Publishing a map service results in time and date stamp being added to service name

Jump to solution
05-18-2022 04:02 PM
RaymondBoswell1
New Contributor II

I recently published a traditional ArcGIS Server map service from ArcGIS Pro. There was an existing service that I overwrote, but I utilized a different Pro project file for publishing.

I received a message stating that the web layer successfully published. However, when I viewed the folder in Portal with the published map service (Map Image Layer), I could see the updated map service (Map Image Layer) as well as a new map service (Map Image Layer) with the same name, but with time/date stamp added. See attached screen capture.

Publishing from ArcGIS Pro 2.9
Publishing to ArcGIS Enterprise 10.7.1
Data is sourced from an SDE GeoDB and the SDE connection is a valid data store within ArcGIS Server Manager.

Does anyone have experience with this behavior?
Any thoughts on what causes it?
How big of an issue is it/Is it bad?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SusanTran
Esri Contributor

Hi Raymond, 

The web layer named with the timestamp is automatically created when you overwrite. It is an archive stored for backup purposes to use as you see fit. 

You can read more about it here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/overwrite-a-map-image-layer.htm#ESRI_...

Hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SusanTran
Esri Contributor

Hi Raymond, 

The web layer named with the timestamp is automatically created when you overwrite. It is an archive stored for backup purposes to use as you see fit. 

You can read more about it here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/overwrite-a-map-image-layer.htm#ESRI_...

Hope that helps. 

RaymondBoswell1
New Contributor II

Thank you, Susan.

In theory, if I were wanting to keep my org as clean as possible, it would be OK for me to delete the item w/the time stamp since it is merely an archive and the original item has been updated.

Or, is there a compelling reason for me to keep the automatically created "archive" item?

0 Kudos