Learn ArcGIS server and portal

12-04-2021 04:50 PM
Salehalamri
New Contributor II

How can I learn and practice to use the Arcgis server and arcgis portal and publish data from geodatabase to arcgis server and from arcgis server to arcgis portal.

because I want to get a job opportunity in the field of geographical databases, and it is required to know them and work on them.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unless your organization/ institution has license for ArcGIS Enterprise that you could work with, the only other option I could see is to opt for an Instructor-led training like Sharing Content to ArcGIS Enterprise | Esri Training Instructor-Led Course. Here, they will provide a virtual infrastructure with required software installed for your hands-on training.

You could also check with your local distributor if they impart similar instructor-led trainings as well.

As far as self-learning is concerned, you could refer some of the e-learning videos, documents, etc. available on Esri Training site, or the ArcGIS Enterprise Documentation. Unfortunately, getting an access to ArcGIS Enterprise might not be possible in this case.

Check with your local Esri distributor, if an evaluation license of ArcGIS Enterprise can be made available, before you reach to a conclusion.

All the best!

Think Location
DS_GIS
by
New Contributor III

Hello! 

I can kindly second what JayantaPoddar has said here with reference to accessing and working directly with ArcGIS Enterprise. Their advice is sound. 

However there are some additional resources I'd like to provide as they helped me along the way in my current role as an Enterprise GIS Systems Administrator.

First, you say you are interested in Geographical Databases. I would recommend studying and understanding a file geodatabase first. Consider the data and architect schema properly. An Enterprise Database (SDE) functions similarly to a file geodatabase in the Desktop software. Of course, it's what's behind the scenes that truly makes them special and that multiple users can access at the same time. Perhaps research a bit about SQL or Oracle as these are platforms that can be used for Enterprise Databases. 

As a systems administrator our server resources (ArcGIS Server) are always at the forefront of my mind. In order to convey these resources to GIS Publishers I use some of the links below. 
Introducing shared instances in ArcGIS Server (esri.com) - This one is great for visualizing and understanding ArcSOC processes. 

Configure a map service—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation - Overviews some of the steps for online map services

Best Practices for Publishing Services, Layers, and Maps (esri.com) - Another best practices resource

Best practices for hosted layer publishers—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise - Last but not least best practices for Hosted layers - this is another component of Enterprise.

Paid Training Resources from Esri:

Deploying and Maintaining a Multiuser Geodatabase | Esri Training Instructor-Led Course

ArcGIS Enterprise: Administration Workflows | Esri Training Instructor-Led Course

I provided quite a few Best Practice resources here and wanted to touch on why. Esri best practices are best practices because, when implemented, they ensure the systems run as smoothly as possible. Best practices are essential to keep at the forefront of your mind when learning ArcGIS Enterprise.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III

Well, first off, for what you are asking you is 90% there when you work with ArcGIS Online with a free developer account and a $100 personal ArcGIS Desktop license. So the very first thing to do is get really really good at setting up and using ArcGIS Online. (I have not done this because I use Portal and Enterprise 99% of the time!! But seriously they are pretty close.)

The details where they differ won't really come up in an interview... unless I suppose that's the question. "Tell us how they differ!" Interviews are nightmarish to me. Broad stroke... one runs here and the other runs there. Where was I?

If you can use (for instance) Experience Builder and make a few nice apps that I could look and show me how you manage the data for them you'd be ready for a job here regardless of whether you had learned on ArcGIS Online or in Enterprise.

I personally enjoy programming and system level work so what I did was pay the big bucks for a developer license for a year.

I had to search for it, the link is https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-developer/buy

I was going to say that $1800 was an absurd amount to pay but then realized other people here are suggesting $1500 for a 2 day class of being rushed through a chute is worth it. I don't learn much in those classes. I have taken 5 or 6 now. Usually by the time I get a chance to apply the knowledge, it's mostly gone and I have to learn it again on my own. I need continuous access to the tools to learn.

I don't know what motivates Esri, I think they want people to learn to be web developers or something so they are pushing in that direction.  I could not find any references to the developer license on the developer web site.

It really depends on where you already are on the curve. In real life you probably won't be the one installing and upgrading server stuff but if you want to learn that then you will never ever get it in a 2 day class. You have to do it like 20 times. You have to drop it when you get confused and come back to it when your brain has had recovery time for a few days. So maybe $1800 for 12 full months of unlimited access is actually a good deal.

Then of course on top of that you have to have a computer to run the server on, and that sets you back another $1000 or so.  You can also rent space for example on Amazon AWS. Personally I hate "don't-worry-we'll-bill-you-later" because I don't like to be surprised by a bill at the end of the month.

The $1350 developer plan does not include much beyond what you get for having a free developer account. The $1800 plan includes ArcGIS Enterprise Advanced which is what I wanted. It includes ArcGIS Pro BASIC which when you are trying to learn Enterprise is quite useless so you still need the $100 personal license.

If you are not trying to learn the nuts and bolts of how the components work then you could install once and get on with learning Portal and Enterprise as a user. Then you'd learn as I have that it's pretty close to ArcGIS Online.

Note that any of these contracts also gets you technical support, so if you are experimenting and really get stuck, you can still ask questions. If you are a developer and you PAID FOR IT you get to open tickets. I'd also love the hear that story from a potential candidate - "I know how Esri tech support works because..." I've been learning how to use support for a couple years now. Sometimes it helps. Sometimes they hang up on me. 🙂 Well, just once. She was stumped! 

I'm currently trying to figure out what happens next in my career. Do I "retire" in a couple years from my county job and continue using Esri tools or do I move in a totally new direction? When someone else pays for Esri it's not as hard a decision.

Good luck

0 Kudos