Creating a hosted point feature service taking too long (Enterprise 10.9.1)?

Jump to solution
03-30-2023 10:23 AM
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

I can't tell what the expected behavior is: creating a point hosted feature class from a 40 MB CSV with about 90 records takes almost 4 minutes.  Our severs area appropriately sized according to Esri's recommended specifications, and I see no errors in the logs.  Almost 40 jobid requests in the network tab indicate "partial" - I assume it's uploading the data in subsets - but this still feels too long.  AGOL takes under 30 seconds.  

Thoughts?  Do I just want things to be faster than they are?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

That's a massive CSV and 4 minutes doesn't seem like an unreasonable length of time.

I'd be questioning why my CSV is 40mb and if there's better ways to publish/append it i.e. from ArcGIS Pro.

Direct uploads of CSV are prone to error as they check a sample of rows, and all kinds of issues can manifest if the data is not consistent. Doesn't sound like anything specific to this if it's fine in ArcGIS Online, but I'd be reviewing the CSV for potential issues. The underlying infrastructure can cause some unexpected behaviour in Portal/Enterprise that doesn't manifest in ArcGIS Online and vice-versa. Unlikely but one thing to consider.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Personally, I wouldn't use AGOL as a benchmark.  It's a highly scalable solution that can grab as much resource as it needs to service all the clients that are using it at that time.  Your Enterprise is on a finite amount of infrastructure, it's probably doing other things in the background (assuming it's production) and so many processes are trying to grab the same finite amount of CPU, memory and disk.  

If you have access to another ArcGIS Enterprise (or know someone who has) then benchmark against that.

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

That's a massive CSV and 4 minutes doesn't seem like an unreasonable length of time.

I'd be questioning why my CSV is 40mb and if there's better ways to publish/append it i.e. from ArcGIS Pro.

Direct uploads of CSV are prone to error as they check a sample of rows, and all kinds of issues can manifest if the data is not consistent. Doesn't sound like anything specific to this if it's fine in ArcGIS Online, but I'd be reviewing the CSV for potential issues. The underlying infrastructure can cause some unexpected behaviour in Portal/Enterprise that doesn't manifest in ArcGIS Online and vice-versa. Unlikely but one thing to consider.

0 Kudos
Jay_Gregory
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks - its good to get a read from the community.  There is a lot of text in the file, which is probably why it's taking so long.  A lot of our users don't have Pro, so want to set the understanding of how long things might take.