Extract Multi Values to Points works incorrectly

07-18-2016 11:26 AM
Labels (1)
WenjieJi
New Contributor

I was trying to extract pixel values from multiple raster to a set of points. All the new fields created by the tool were always populated with 0 or -9999. But when I tried the 'Extract Values to Points' tool, it worked correctly. Does anyone know why this is happening? I am using 10.4.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WenjieJi
New Contributor

It worked when I imported all the raster files into a geodatabase and select the raster files from the geodatabase for the 'extract multi values to points' tool. I have no idea why, but it worked...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

extracted to a shapefile? -9999 is a nodata representation

Extract Multi Values to Points—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

inspect your cell manually before assessing and I assume you were using the no interpolation option.  I would compare the two options carefully, their operation.  bringing it into a geodatabase seems to be a workaround, perhaps the raster properties are better handled there.

WenjieJi
New Contributor

Thanks Dan. I did check my data and there were no missing values/nodata pixels in my image. My raster data was PRISM monthly precipitation data (.bil format). I tried converting them to ENVI.dat but it didn't work. Then I tried extracting from other images (MODIS NDVI) for the same set of point data and it worked. So I am guessing this may be a data-specific problem. It seems that other people have encountered similar problems before with older versions of ArcMap:

Extract Multi Values to Points NOT WORKING!

0 Kudos
hansaneefernando
New Contributor

When I try to run the "Extract multi values to points tool", I can add only 2 rasters at a time. If I add 3 or more, it will show sampling (when I run the tool) and will not end. Or sometimes the ArcGIS pro crashes. Can you please help me? Sometimes it will even fail when I input two rasters. 

Thanks in Advance. 

0 Kudos
GlennBald1
Esri Contributor

Were all your data in the same projection?

0 Kudos