Rossmo Formula - is it possible?

09-15-2021 07:51 PM
KannaTenjo1
New Contributor II

I am fairly new to ArcGis but I plan to take the 17 free tutorials that are offered to help me familiarize with the program. 

I am wondering if it's possible to use the Rossmo Formula as a method of geographic profiling with ArcGis. It involves this formula: 

making a scaled grid over a map, using the above formula to calculate a value for each square, then have a heat map created based on those values. Note: while X and Y are the coordinate numbers that one would assign on the grid, values such as f, g and B are variable, and I wonder if there is a function similar to Desmos, where you are able to change the variable values on a sliding scale. 

Thank you for your time! I really appreciate you trying to help me, if you can. Right now I am not so concerned about the method of doing this, only that if it is possible in the first place. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Rossmo's formula - Wikipedia states that Manhattan distances are used so you would probably need to do parts/all outside Pro directly since scipy implements the necessary distance calculations and you could exploit NumPy to do the calculations using arcpy's RasterToNumPyArray and NumPyArraytoRaster to facilitate product export/import back into Pro.

So make sure you brush up on Python and NumPy in your lesson plan strategy

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos