Add static data, but not as basemap

02-03-2023 07:15 AM
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I have a mobile application where users, beside a normal basemap, use about 50 layers with more or less static reference data from a feature service. The total size of the data is not very big, roughly 50MB

I noticed that the number of layers has a large impact on startup time for the app, and also when synchronizing to go offline.

My first idea was to create a tiled vector package, and add it to a local mmpk which already contains a topographical basemap, and aerial photography. This actually works really well performance wise, but when doing this, users can no longer turn individual layers on and off because basemaps are shown as a single layer.

I also thought about using a local file geodatabase, but I don't see an easy way to apply symbology in the app. Or is there a concept similar to layerfiles in ArcGIS runtime? I haven't found anything yet.

What would be the best way to go about this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

You could create vector tile packages for each individual feature layer (or groups that you want to be able to turn on and off together) and include them as operational layers in your map.   This will allow your users to turn the layers on and off and should perform better for loading and drawing. 

0 Kudos
BerendVeldkamp
Occasional Contributor II

@MarkBockenhauer, yes that seems the obvious solution, why didn't I think of that?

Now I need to find out how to automate generating 50 vector tile packages... I'm not much of a Python developer 😉

0 Kudos