Running Model

Jump to solution
09-19-2014 12:39 PM
ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I have a question in regards to using ModelBuilder.  I've created a tool in ModelBuilder that runs fine when I run it within the "Edit" mode of the tool, however when I open the tool and enter the parameters it keeps running and running unlike when I run it within the Edit mode.

What is causing this?  Why would the tool run fine when I add the parameters and run it in edit mode, but not work when I simply double click on the model and enter the parameters.  Is there something I am missing?

I have attached screenshots of both methods showing which one works and doesn't.

I don't understand why I can run the model within modelbuilder but it seems to freeze when I run the model in the tool dialog box.

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think your issue has something to do with validation, i.e. the tools properly recognizing the inputs and setting the tools as ready to run.

You may have better luck if you enter inputs in edit mode, validate the model with the check box button, and then save the model. Then to use different inputs, change them when running it as a tool and hopefully the validation will "take" when running as a tool as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
ISP_graynic

I did not add any iterators.  Here's a screenshot of the model.  An iterator might work too, but I am not sure how I would iterate the model based on multiple parameter values entered

Export Graphic.png

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think your issue has something to do with validation, i.e. the tools properly recognizing the inputs and setting the tools as ready to run.

You may have better luck if you enter inputs in edit mode, validate the model with the check box button, and then save the model. Then to use different inputs, change them when running it as a tool and hopefully the validation will "take" when running as a tool as well.

0 Kudos
ISP_graynic

Thank you very much for the help Curtis.  It works fine now out of the tool dialog box.  I do think you are right and it had something to do with the tools not being ready to run for some reason.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos