Longtime GIS Analyst but new to the Community

02-12-2024 05:33 PM
SonyaWilson15
New Contributor

Hello, I have been working in the field for many years, but there are so many new tools and improvements over the lifespan and so many products and ways to leverage it. I am looking on how to train and organize others in the use of GIS in my current position and help them develop some ideas and plans on how to best use GIS across the organization, including a GIS plan, and best practices.

3 Replies
Laurel_Hill
New Contributor III

Hi! I hope you find the organizational training tools you are looking for. What type of industry do you work in?

RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Sonya,

Good for you that you are bringing your people up. It's an exciting time to be in GIS. I recommend you stay on this board and see what kinds of questions people have, and add some of your own questions and answers, too.

Please see all the many classes offered at esri training. https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/search/ 

Because the field is becoming so vast and specialized, especially in the areas of network routing, pattern recognition, etc, plain old cartography has really become a subset of spatial analysis.

Our people still have to make maps, and I think the best skill they can learn is cartographic design, because that is what customers see, and it is relatively platform independent, so they can carry this strong sense of design with them no matter what GIS space time conundrum they get themselves into. They still have to tell a story customers can understand and delight in.

BriannaEttley
Esri Community Manager

Welcome, @SonyaWilson15!

Consider Esri Community to be your go-to spot for discussing all things GIS — a virtual gathering place where you can find solutions, share ideas, and collaborate to solve problems with the help of members from all around the globe.

Please be sure to check out the following Community-use resources to get you started: 

And, noting your specific interest, these areas may prove a good starting point: 

I'm also more than happy to help point you in the right direction for specific products. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions about using Esri Community and once again, welcome! 

Brianna Ettley
Community Manager, Engagement & Content
0 Kudos