Hi, I'm Sam Heavenrich

01-25-2022 07:38 PM
SamHeavenrich
New Contributor

Hi, I'm Sam Heavenrich and I'm currently a studying GIS through a graduate certificate program. I have no previous experience with ESRI or GIS so I'm here to learn and have fund while doing so. Before studying GIS I worked in the automotive industry as a systems engineer, but I'd like to find a new career in the field of GIS.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hello and welcome! GIS is a great field to get into. It's incredibly broad, so be sure to get a taste of all the different aspects of it. There are loads of free courses in the Esri Training Catalog, and even more if your institution has a maintenance-level subscription.

What made you want to transition into GIS? What do you envision doing with it?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
SamHeavenrich
New Contributor

Hi Josh,

I found out about GIS as a potential career from a job quiz hosted by the government of Canada that I took after realizing how unmotivated I was to pursue a career in automotive engineering. It sounded like GIS jobs can have a meaningful impact in a wide range of areas which is very appealing to me. I have a bit of background in web and software development so being able to leverage that experience in a new way is exciting. I envision myself in some way working in conservation, although I'm still exploring the wide range of specializations with the field.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the Esri Community.

Adding to Josh's recommendations, here are a few other helpful resources that you could explore.

In case of any specific query related to an ArcGIS Product/ workflow at any point of time, please feel free to ask your question.

Think Location
0 Kudos
SamHeavenrich
New Contributor

Hi Jayanta,

Thanks for the links!

0 Kudos
RKathieMcClung
New Contributor III

Hi Sam,

I understand how easy it is to want to get into the GIS. I was first interested once I was into a remote sensing class during my undergraduate education in environmental science. I also developed an interest in Drones about the same time and the interests converged. I learned about esri through looking around online at some of the graphics and maps, but also at a conference with at least one or ore speakers working for esri. One speaker showed some monitoring and mapping with use of a drone and GIS. I was recently awarded a license in a group of us as I volunteer as alumni member/officer in the chapter of national organization I belong to and for the university where I graduated. I am here to soak up as much training as I can.

It is true that there are so many areas to choose from in GIS. I became interested in the  use of Drones because I was inspired by an article I used for one of my class assignments, where someone helped locate wells in Africa. I need to keep that article resource information handy because I often refer to it as my very first inspiration in remote sensing. A man could see by satellite imagery, that there were wells, but the people on the ground could not find them without navigational help. Anyway, I see it as a tool to help people and improve lives, as the bottom line. He ended up giving out cell phones to some of those people on the ground so he could get verification of his imagery. It is true that it does need some verification for good monitoring. Now, after so long, people have gone beyond the earlier processes, I'm pretty sure. I am here to find out how they have advanced beyond that. I want to be a part of this action.

0 Kudos