Is there any way to determine the date for a airphoto on World_Imagery on arcgisonline?

Jump to solution
01-15-2015 03:42 PM
PaulHuffman
Occasional Contributor III

I added a photo from arcgisonline to a map that we are using for engineering at an irrigation dam site. It turned out that the image at World_Imagery captures a very illuminating high water event at the site. It is a different image than at ESRI_Imagery_World_2D or Google Earth.  I have records at river flows for each day.  If I could date the photo, I could say what flow the river was at when the photo was taken. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PaulHuffman

It's the Identify Tool!  In ArcMap, just point at a pixel in the area of interest, and eventually, an Identify box will pop up with a bunch of helpful attributes,  including SRC_DATE2 in this case. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PaulHuffman

It's the Identify Tool!  In ArcMap, just point at a pixel in the area of interest, and eventually, an Identify box will pop up with a bunch of helpful attributes,  including SRC_DATE2 in this case. 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-yUw6wWKCYBY0
New Contributor III

Hi Paul,

Is the date displayed with the identify tool the date that the imagery were captured (i.e. as opposed to processed or uploaded)? Can you point me to somewhere where this is stated in concrete, by Esri? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Thomas,

According to this:

FAQ: Is it possible to determine the date of an image from the World Imagery basemap? 

The date is the date the imagery was "taken"

deleted-user-yUw6wWKCYBY0
New Contributor III

Brilliant - straight from the horse's mouth - thanks Adrian.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Sometimes horses say one thing but they mean another... Be weary of what you get, especially with data such as basemaps. It's a large complicated process with many moving parts and lots of contributors. Either way, I would guess that 9 times out of 10 the info presented from the identify tool is the correct info.

I just wish https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro?sr=search&searchId=5554e8e1-7b42-4a...‌ had a similar method!

0 Kudos