How to create grids in ArcGIS Pro using user defined MGRS

06-21-2021 04:40 PM
BethanyHall
New Contributor III

Hello! I'm trying to use ArcGIS Desktop or Pro to make ad hoc grids for field users. I thought I could make an index grid but I’m not sure that is the best route as I'm working with historians and archaeologists that have specific grid design protocols.

For example, the grid needs to be 4-meter x 4-meter with at least 10 rows and columns with a user-defined datum based on user-defined MGRS coordinates. I’m trying to figure out how to create these grids on the fly. Then create a model that can be exported to Python and ran as the user defines new possible search sites from a web app as a widget. I was thinking the grid would be uploaded to a hosted feature service with domains for the fields and published as a service to the organization. Field users using Collector or Field Maps would update the areas searched and the teams in-country and offsite could use an operations dashboard to see the progress of the field team’s search areas.

To familiarize my brain with making ad hoc grids, I used the Gridded Reference Graphic widget in a web app in Portal but I cannot add fields to the grid or control the named grid labels. That widget is so close but not exactly what I’m looking to accomplish with this project. The Grid Overlay widget is close, too but it only goes down to 10-meter x 10-meter grids that are generated.

Also, the labeling of the grids will be based upon a user-defined alfa-numeric numbering system. All the grids will start from the user-specified MGRS coordinate as this will become the lower-left hand point of origin for the grid. The grids will then be labeled with northing, easting, and the grid number will increase by four for each additional grid.

I'm new to making grids defined by a user and learning the MGRS grid system so any help is appreciated!

Bethany Hall
GIS Ninja
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Generally, for sampling patterns, one can use

An overview of the Sampling toolset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Widely use is the fishnet....

Create Fishnet (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

The size and orientation of the grid pattern is in your control

If you have the Topographic Production extension

Make Grids And Graticules Layer (Topographic Production)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

First, MGRS is simply an abstraction based on UTM. It is a shorthand display system for UTM meters. If I need MGRS grids, I calculate them from the meters using Python/Field Calculate. You can also use the Convert Coordinate Notation tool.

Second, MGRS grids are not truly numeric, since they can and do start with a meaningful 0 and they must have a zone and 100K grid square. I guess if they are closely spaced, you don't have to display the grid square.

0 Kudos
BethanyHall
New Contributor III

Is it possible to create a geoprocessing service to create a grid using one MGRS point and then load that as a service to be used by a user in a web application?

Bethany Hall
GIS Ninja
0 Kudos