Created a custom map using existing layers and custom table data

Jump to solution
06-13-2022 06:26 AM
SharanSaboji
New Contributor II

Hi everyone, I am trying to create a map that shows the cities of the San Francisco bay area. For this, I found a layer shown in the attached screenshot. I want to further refine this by limiting the city region polygons to the coastline. I also have a csv file that lists some numerical data for each of the cities. When I tried uploading it as content and bringing it into the map via tables, I didn't get the desired results.

I am still very new to gis, so any help to relevant tutorials would be really appreciated.

Screenshot_20220613-061123~2.png

Screenshot_20220613-061754~2.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

@SharanSaboji 

When you fill out the parameters for the join tool, in step 3, only choose one join field from each table: soiname and projects.

fields.png

This part of the tool defines which are the matching fields. It does not define which fields to transfer. By default, all of the fields are transferred. You only need one pair of matching fields to make the transfer happen.

Try the tool again using the parameters I provide in the earlier screenshot (with only one field from each layer in step 3). The results I got look like this:

join_results.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi @SharanSaboji .

Hi Sharan,

My guess is that you want to display the data from the table on the map, using the polygons in the screenshot that you shared.
To do this, you need to join the csv table to the spatial layer with a common field. You can do this in Map Viewer Classic, which has analysis tools.

Above the map, click Open in Map Viewer Classic.
In the side pane, click Content. Make sure both your spatial layer (San Francisco Bay Region Spheres of Influence) and your csv layer are listed. If not, click the Add button to find and add them.
Under each layer, click the Show Table button.

table.png

In the tables, find a field that is common between both of them. For example, maybe your csv layer has a column that matches the fipco or soiname column in your spatial layer.
Above the side panel, click Analysis.
If necessary, click Feature Analysis.
Expand Summarize Data and click Join Features.
Fill out the tool parameters. Here is an example of how I filled them out:

join.png

You can read more about this tool here:https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/analyze/join-features.htm#

Click Run Analysis.
When the join is complete, view the table of the new layer and confirm that it has the extra columns from the csv.
Above the map, click Save.
Above the map, click Open in new Map Viewer to return to the place where you started. Now you have a new layer with new fields that you can symbolize, etc.

-------------------

To limit the city region polygons to the coastline, the easiest method in ArcGIS Online is to hide the polygons under another polygon that represents water. You could search ArcGIS Online for a layer representing water in the Bay Area. You could also use a specific basemap that's useful in these cases:

On the Contents (dark) toolbar, click Basemap.
In the Basemap pane, choose Human Geography Map.
Scroll to the top of the pane and click Current basemap Human Geography Map.
There are three layers that make up this basemap.
Click Human Geography Detail. this is the layer that includes water areas.
On the Properties pane, change transparency to 0%.

map.png

Make sure that the Human Geography Detail layer is in the Reference section, not the Base section.

Now the water hides the city polygons so they appear to be cropped by the coastline.

0 Kudos
SharanSaboji
New Contributor II

Hi Heather

Thank you for the prompt response to my question. I was able to follow your suggestion for the most part. I am including screenshots of what my csv table looks like. I tried to join common data between the two layers but I got this error saying number of features in the layer is zero. join features failed. I have attached a screenshot of the error as well as my own csv file.

Please suggest what I may be doing wrong.

I still need to try out how to limit the polygons to the coastline, but that solution is awesome. thank you once again in advance.

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi @SharanSaboji 

I downloaded your .csv file and tried it out. I was able to successfully join it to the San Francisco Bay Region Spheres of Influence layer using these parameters:

join_params.png

Note that the csv table doesn't have all the same cities as the spatial layer, so not every polygon will receive a join.

I checked the "Keep all target features" box to make sure that the new layer contained all of the polygons from the old layer. If you don't check that, the new layer will only contain those polygons that received joined fields.

0 Kudos
SharanSaboji
New Contributor II

Hi @HeatherSmith 

I was able to successfully use the join features on my csv file, and I tried running it per step 3 by choosing across different columns between the two layers. I picked soiname from the "region spheres" layer and projects, total projects, and percentage from my own csv.

the resultant layer is created with every column from my csv but without any of the values provided for each of the cities. 

the percentage column does not get added through the join features.

What I want to achieve is to make a map that represents my projects by their percentages across the different cities.

If you can show me how to achieve that, I will be really grateful. I have attached a screenshot of the table from the layer i created that has empty columns.

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

@SharanSaboji 

When you fill out the parameters for the join tool, in step 3, only choose one join field from each table: soiname and projects.

fields.png

This part of the tool defines which are the matching fields. It does not define which fields to transfer. By default, all of the fields are transferred. You only need one pair of matching fields to make the transfer happen.

Try the tool again using the parameters I provide in the earlier screenshot (with only one field from each layer in step 3). The results I got look like this:

join_results.png

0 Kudos
SharanSaboji
New Contributor II

projects mapprojects mapI finally got it to work just as I wanted it. Sorry for the late response. got swamped my work. Thank you so much for all the help along the way for this little project. The result helped me save tons of hours of mindless cleanup work.

0 Kudos
SamriddhiSrivastava
New Contributor II

This is good learning for me to do the same as also facing same type of problem

0 Kudos