We’ve made some changes to our site

12-08-2022 09:00 AM
RebekaAlvarez-Heck
Esri Contributor
6 5 5,047

This year, we've been hard at work reviewing our website to ensure that we are creating a functional experience for our users.   

As an outcome of this review, we’ve made the following changes to the learn.arcgis website which will be available as of December 15: 

We're excited about these changes and hope that they'll help you better navigate our site and find tutorials that you’ll enjoy. 

Learn ArcGIS Team 

5 Comments
FerdinandQuinones
New Contributor II

Rebeca, hi from Tennessee, although I am originally from Puerto Rico where many moons ago I was a hydrologist and directed the USGS office in the island, and later the one in TN.  Partially retired, I enjoy the great features of ARCGIS, more recently stuff like the Lidar and other imagery data. Unfortunately, the Lidar data for Puerto Rico appears to be of poor resolution, unlike the mainland images I can easily draw from ARGIS On Line. PR is a US territory, and there is no reason both from the science and educational angles for not providing better resolution data for the island. Perhaps I am looking at the wrong place, but please check this and let me know if what I see is the best ESRI can provide for PR (below image of western PR from your Lidar anchor). Thanks and happy 2023. 

Cordially,

Ferdinand Quinones

FerdinandQuinones_0-1671827592105.png

Delphine_Khanna
Esri Contributor

Hello Ferdinand,

It is great to see that you are a GIS enthusiast!

Thank you for reporting this issue. Based on your screenshot, I believe that you are talking about Puerto Rico imagery that you saw through the Esri Landsat app used in that Get started with imagery tutorial, is that correct?

If so, what you are seeing there is Landsat multispectral imagery, produced by the NASA and USGS joint program. The reason the imagery in your screenshot looks obscured, is that there are many clouds that were captured by the satellite sensor. That is unfortunately unavoidable: if there are clouds in the sky at the time of the satellite takes the picture, they will show in the resulting imagery. Some regions of the world experience more frequent cloudy skies than others.

Solution: You were looking at the most recent imagery, captured in the last couple of weeks. A solution would be to look if there are some slightly older images that would have less clouds.

To do that, click the Time button on the side toolbar, and use the time slider to visualize images captured over the last few months. For instance, on March 23, 2022, I was able to find an image that is quite clear in the area of Mayagüez and Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico.

Puerto-rico.png

Another technique that I used here to enhance the clarity of the image is to apply the Agriculture band combination (the Agriculture button in the toolbar). This better highlights the features on the ground, so that you can clearly distinguish the vegetation (in bright green), the water (in dark blue), the built-up areas (in purple), and the bare earth (in orange and brown tones).

For more details about the use of these tools, please refer to the Get started with imagery tutorial.

I hope that helps.

Delphine

@FerdinandQuinones 

JulieMelville
New Contributor

Delightful Discovery - I've been using ESRI for a while now, determining ownership of property and location overviews - plus I just get lost in the fun of it.

Right now I am a graduate student in Sustainability Leadership at Arizona State University, with an additional course study in eco-tourism. 

How happy I am to find that arcGIS has tools to develop these tours. I have property along the Appalachian Trail that butts up against the White Mountain National Forest. I hope to create immersive experiences in sustainability understanding within the forest. My current tourism course includes tours of areas - to promote understanding of food culture, social aspects of that, and sustainable sourcing of product. 

This has my juices flowing. I am more than a little psyched to find arcGIS can maximize the entire experience. 

I can see that I have an new educational rabbit hole to burrow into, with loads of information to grasp. YIKES and zealous curiosity.

JuanPabloBogado
New Contributor

Can we expect further development of curriculum by the LearnArcGIS team?

RebekaAlvarez-Heck
Esri Contributor

@JuanPabloBogado Yes! We'll still be developing curriculums. Please subscribe to our Esri Community page for announcements of new content.