Ya'at'eeh, I am Karriaunna Scotti

08-18-2020 01:51 PM
KarriaunnaScotti
New Contributor

I am a teacher at Tucson High School in well... Tucson  Arizona.  We are a Title one school.  I teach physical science which can very from year to year depending on need.  Tucson High is a science magnet which means we teach a variety of sciences that many schools do not teach and our classes are student choice.  I currently teach Earth-Space and a Geology class.  I also have the Astronomy and Geology club.

I have taken a few GIS workshops, but never quite get very far with them with my students.  And then I end up teaching a freshman class for a year and forget the basics .  The few GIS I have used have been pre-set up.  So I would not call them realistic in general.  It is a new year, and I have decided to try again as I have ES and Geo this year. I have just started introducing GIS mapping to my students using the short lesson plans... which take far longer for my students then 15 minutes.

As for interests and expertise, I would say I am a Jack of all trade and master of none in the sciences; my primary background is in geosciences and archaeology.  I love minerals and to #explore, especially unusual places of Nature, #though I have not done much lately.  I will be sad if the Gem and Mineral show does not happen this coming year due to the pandemic.  I love the ocean, but I am land-locked and cannot convince my husband to move to Kauai'i   

The world is full of lovely places.  If asked where I would like to live, that would be a hard choice.  I would might say Scotland, but not in the winter.  55.9533° N, 3.1883° W  And New Zealand is lovely as well.  40.9006° S, 174.8860° E... And of course Kauai'i 22.0964° N, 159.5261° W.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Welcome! I'd love to hear how it goes for you and what you find works well. Are you in a distance learning situation right now?

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
KarriaunnaScotti
New Contributor

Aheehee (thank you). Yes, we are for the first quarter.  Re-evaluation for the 2nd quarter.  Perhaps the most frustrating beyond getting through the tech issues students have, is the stuff the district wants to prove we are "here".

I will be attending the workshop tomorrow, we shall see how that helps

0 Kudos
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

That workshop will be a great place to start! 

(Your classes sound fun... and I'd love to be in an astronomy club )

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
JenniferAakre
New Contributor

Weren't you in the Project Atmosphere course this last summer?!

0 Kudos