TileCache datastore very slow to restore

11-29-2021 10:37 PM
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I am testing webgisdr restore on a standby environment and found out the whole process is now taking up to 18h because of 15 hours spent restoring the tileCache datastore.

My webgisdr size is  45 Go divided like the following:

• tileCache datastore 25 Go
  • relational datastore 11 Go
  • portal for ArcGIS 8 Go
  • AGS: 1 Go

Capture d’écran 2021-11-30 à 06.29.53.png

Isn't it too much ? Could there be an issue in my tileCache datastore. I tried making a backup, uninstalling it, restoring it but it still takes ages.

How long does it take in your side ?

And feedback/ROE would be appreciated !

Thanks

0 Kudos
21 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

How long did it take to backup? There's a bug about the performance of creating a backup of the tile cache data store:

BUG-000139154 Improve tile cache data store backup speed

I wonder if there's a general issue with moving the content in the data store, regardless if it's a backup or restore operation.

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS

Thanks for your reply @JonathanQuinn,

The backup is actually quite quick:

- relational: 25 min

- tileCache: 7 min !

So it might be another issue as the one you mentionned ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS

Hi @JonathanQuinn,

With all these information, are they figures you have seen during your benchmark testing ? 

Or is it worth contacting support so that they have a deeper look ?

To me, I find it very long because we just started publishing 3D with only few Revit Models... I am very afraid about how it will take in the long run !

Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Hi @NicolasGIS  So did you do a manual backup of the TileCache datastore from the backup utility and then do a restore from that manual backup - and if so did that still take 15 hours? 

Or did you do the restore from the webgisdr  and that took 15 hours?

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS

Hi @DavidColey ,

I tried both.

Both took very long  (around 15 hours).

Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

ok thanks for that.   Sad to know....

0 Kudos
JasonHansel1
New Contributor

I am running into long restore time as well. The one environment took 13 hours for a 120 GB Relational and 5 Hours for a 50 GB TileCache. 

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS

Thanks for the input @JasonHansel1 .

Well that is still more efficient than mine your regarding the tileCache. Yours is twice bigger and takes "only" 5 hours while mine 2 times smaller is taking 3 times longer than yours !

Interesting...

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Is there a chance that Antivirus is ruining on either or both of the data store machine or the file server that is holding the backup files? That could certainly cause slowness

The data store backup file is zipped  and the restore process will be uncompressing it to staging folder in the data store machine, then copying the individual files to the internal database folders ( for tile cache that’s a lot of individual “shards”

you could try running sysinternals pro cmon while the restore is happening to see what’s happening behind the scenes

0 Kudos