Celebrate GIS Day 2017: Share Your Story On GeoNet!

11-08-2017 05:40 AM
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

We’re excited to celebrate GIS Day 2017 with you here on GeoNet! Join in the worldwide geo-festivities and let us know how you’re celebrating this year by sharing your GIS Day stories and experiences (pictures, videos, comments or links to other content) and answering one of the questions below.  

• How have you helped others learn about and apply GIS in their work or lives this year?
  • What personal GIS projects are you most proud of?
  • What areas GIS would you like to explore more this year? What GIS skills would you like to improve in?
  • What is one way you’d like to see GIS change the world?

Celebrate with your GeoNet profile picture!

Download one of these images and upload them to your GeoNet profile to show your love for GIS: 

Thanks for sharing and we look forward to seeing your contributions and be sure to follow GIS Day group and check out more content in the group!

22 Replies
KimberlyKosier
New Contributor

My students at McKeel Academy of Technology located in Lakeland, Florida, will be partnering with representatives from the City of Lakeland, to guide them through MissingMaps.org.  

MissingMaps objectives are:

1. To map the most vulnerable places in the developing world, in order that international and local NGOs and individuals can use the maps and data to better respond to crises affecting the areas.

2. To support OpenStreetMap, specifically the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap team (HOT),, in developing technologies, skills, workflows, and communities.  

Students will be introduced Missing Maps objectives with mini video presentation, then a brief question answer session.  We are hoping to join a campaign for regions of Mexico that were devastated by the recent earthquake.  Students will be mapping houses and roads. 

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

HI kimberlykosier@mckeelschools.com‌ and welcome to GeoNet!. Thank you for your comment/post on how your class will be celebrating GIS Day!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks Kimberly!  I have worked with Patricia Solis and OSM.

I was just at Univ of Central FL last week for GIS Day not far from you.

Great part of the world you are in!  

--Joseph Kerski 

0 Kudos
LauraMalkin
New Contributor III

We are a small local authority based in North Yorkshire, UK.

Although there are only two of us we embrace GIS day as a day to sell our wares and promote ourselves to our colleagues.

Usually by attracting them with cakes and the promise of freebies (gained from badgering our suppliers, including ESRI UK) then bombarding them witht he brilliant things that GIS can do!

JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Small is good too - you are making a positive impact - thanks for sharing!

I have been to Hebden and taught GIS at the Univ of Leeds!  Wonderful places.

--Joseph Kerski 

0 Kudos
ÁkosHalmai
Occasional Contributor II

We’re finished our 5th GIS day at University of Pécs, Hungary. We had 209 participants & 12 presenters!5th GIS Day at University of Pécs

Check out our event: GISDay a Pécsi Tudományegyetemen 

MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

halmaia - That is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

This is great - but that cake is making me hungry : - ) Thanks for sharing!

--Joseph Kerski 

0 Kudos
deleted-user-h-swY_y9gYKy
New Contributor

Melbourne Australia here!

We had a morning tea where we distributed prizes for the GIS quiz we sent out and also had a competition for everyone attending to name the 10 missing countries from our map of Africa (tricky since there were 9 distinct countries). Great attendance for all our co-workers (the sweets helped cement that)! Can't wait for 2018!!!