Points to Line Tool

Jump to solution
11-16-2022 04:36 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

I've been working with some GPX files bringing them into ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.1 I have been using GPX to Features tool to bring in the track points. 

Next step I use the Points to Line tool, which works and is in the correct place in the world and matches where the trackpoints are, but .... the shape_length is way off...

The first file I was using was for a 21km running race and initially I bought this in and the shape_length was 21336.2888923, which seems approximately correct, and to get this in kilometers just some unit adjustment. 

I repeated the above steps with a 10km GPX file and the shape_length is 0.130971, initially I thought this might be metric vs imperial issue, but that doesn't seem to be it. I asked a friend to run it and they have no issues shape_length is around the 10km mark.

I went back and reloaded the 21km GPX file and that now has a shape_length of 0.2666836. This is roughly double the shape_length of the 10km GPX file, so it seems to recognize the lengths are relatively twice as long, but the units are all off!

My guess is there is some setting I need to change for this specific tool or more generally - can anyone offer any light to this!?

Thanks a million.

Katy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are the files in a projected coordinate system? or geographic?

Calculate the X, Y values in the point tables to confirm their values to ensure they aren't geographic, or meters/ feet or km/ miles

Points To Line (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are the files in a projected coordinate system? or geographic?

Calculate the X, Y values in the point tables to confirm their values to ensure they aren't geographic, or meters/ feet or km/ miles

Points To Line (Data Management)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dan,

I ended up needing to get a whole new license as I was having all kind of issues, I think it was the coordinate system but everything was going wrong, new updates seem much better !

Thanks for the answer 

0 Kudos
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

Is the line you are working with 3D? 3D lines are usually noticeably longer than their 2D equivalent if there is a lot of relief.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dana, It was def 2D but I think part of a bigger issue which I have now solved. Thank you!

0 Kudos