SDE Database connection curruption in SQL server.

01-18-2023 07:37 AM
Labels (2)
PaulWirth
Occasional Contributor

I have an SDE SQL database that has been somehow corrupted. I cannot connect to it from ArcGIS desktop anymore. It was 10.x something. I need help fixing this connection and if I can't somehow copy the data and design out of it and save it somewhere else.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

More information is needed:

• What exact RDBMS are you using? (If it's changed recently, we need both old and new versions)
  • What is the exact release of the geodatabase?  ("10.x something" encompasses most databases produced in the past decade)
  • What is the exact release of the GIS client used to connect to the database?
  • Has anything changed on the system?

- V

0 Kudos
PaulWirth
Occasional Contributor

SQL server 2012 R2

I do not know the exact release sorry, it is an earlier one maybe 10.1

PaulWirth_0-1674058601932.png

0 Kudos
MarlonAmaya
Esri Contributor

@PaulWirth 

If we do not know the specific version of the enterprise geodatabase. Can you provide the ArcGIS Client and version you are currently using? 

If you can't cannot to it anymore, when was the last time you were able to connect to the database and was it using the same client you have now?

Can you provide an error message you receive from ArcMap/Pro?

Marlon

0 Kudos
PaulWirth
Occasional Contributor

I know I upgraded to 10.x from 9.1. Somehow something is wrong or got changed. Nothing happened to my other sde.

PaulWirth_0-1674060379489.png

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@PaulWirth 

1. You need to upgrade the Geodatabase Repository

Client and geodatabase compatibility—ArcGIS Server | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise

2. Old versions of SQL Server are not supported with new version of ArcGIS Desktop.

You need to upgrade your SQL Server version to a supported version.

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.7.x and ArcGIS Pro 2.3 and 2.4—System Requi...

You also need to upgrade the Microsoft ODBC Driver Version to a supported version when SQL Server is in one machine and ArcGIS Desktop is in another machine.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
PaulWirth
Occasional Contributor

Marcelo,

I understand with what you want me to do and I don't disagree. The problem I am having is that I have another SDE database in the same area and on the same SQL server 2012 R2 that I can connect to using my ArcGIS desktop 10.7.1 or ArcGIS Pro 3.0.3, with no problem. Is there some way to fix it without upgrading at this time because everything else is working, upgrading is a hassle with IT, and there is no guarantee that upgrading will work and now everything that works now doesn't. 

Really all I want to do is copy all that info and design in that SDE database and paste it into another database if that one is somehow corrupt.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@PaulWirth  - Please see @ShannonShields reply below. She is right on the problem there.

0 Kudos
ShannonShields
Esri Contributor

It is likely that the geodatabase you can connect to has been upgraded to a 10.x release. Geodatabase upgrades are separate from upgrading ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, as well as SQL Server.

Are you able to connect directly to the SQL Server instance using SQL Server Management Studio? If you can, look for a table called sde_version and compare the contents between the database you can connect to, and the one you to which you cannot.

Newer ArcGIS clients cannot upgrade geodatabases that are at versions earlier than 10.1. Major changes were made to the structure of geodatabases at 10.0, and upgrades to 10.0 or later releases could only be done from a geodatabase that was upgraded to 9.3.

Do you have access to older versions of ArcSDE software? This is going to be the only way to get the 9.1 database upgraded to a point where it can either be seen from 10.x and Pro software, or upgraded to something that can be connected to.
This doc from 10.1 https://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/A_quick_tour_of_enterprise_geodatabase_up...
outlines 
You can upgrade ArcSDE 9.3, 9.3.1, or 10 geodatabases to geodatabase release 10.1. If your geodatabase is at a lower release, you must first upgrade to a supported release, then upgrade to 10.1.
Getting to 9.3 from 9.1 is going to require ArcSDE software - upgrades prior to 10.x were done using ArcSDE software, not Desktop applications like ArcMap.

-Shannon

MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@PaulWirth  - Please see @ShannonShields reply above. She is right on the problem there.

0 Kudos