Create geodatabase from excel schema and lookup

07-12-2021 01:26 PM
BrianO
by
New Contributor

My workplace uses a database program (Authority by Civica) to manage many aspects of its business. Authority is unfortunately very restrictive when interacting with GIS so we need to manually update the data. We want to match the GIS schemas exactly to the Authority schema to make updating more straight forward as the slightest discrepancy trips the update. 

Authority can export its schema as an excel file, including  lookup lists for particular attributes. Is there a way to convert the excel schema AND lookup lists into new geodatabases. There are a large number of tables,  attributes and lookups to create so I wanted to avoid doing it manually of possible.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

While theoretically possible, a great deal would depend on the exact format of the file.

- V

BrianO
by
New Contributor

Thanks Vince are you please able to direct me in the direction of the technique, workflow or method that may be utilised.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

This isn't likely to be a tiny task. These forums aren't really geared to tasks that would take an experienced developer weeks to complete. They're usually for more immediate problems which can be addressed in a paragraph or two. We can help you if you work at it and get stuck, but you'll need to come up with a plan and start to see it through. The alternative is to contract with someone to code it for you, but I usually don't get involved at that level.

- V

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

To echo @VinceAngelo , you'll need to closely examine what is being given to you.  For example, if your Excel worksheets have complex formulas that refer to other worksheet cells, you will have your work cut out for you.  On the other hand, if they are just straight up text, int, float etc fields, it won't be too bad.

When you mention that 'Authority can export its schema as an excel file' does that include the data or just the field definitions?  You might start with Excel to Table and see how that shakes out for you.  With respect to your 'lookup lists for particular attributes'  that sounds like you might get away with first converting them to a table and use Table to Domain for starters.

It's all do-able, but you'll need to experiment a bit as you go.

That should just about do it....