Automating Update to Feature Class from CSV

11-08-2021 08:32 PM
CBars
by
New Contributor II

Hey Guys,

I'm currently making feature classes in a geodatabase that get geocoded by addresses provided in a column of the csv.  I am not too savvy with coding as of yet, but I was wondering if there is a way to update the feature class when I receive new data in the excel sheet. Or would the data have to be replicated and updated separately as they're in multiple sheets within the book.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello CBars,

The best way for me to become familiar with automating processes is to learn the tools necessary to accomplish the tasks.  You can use ModelBuilder for this.  Think of what you need to do and then use the corresponding tools in ModelBuilder to build the workflow in a sequential manner.

For example:

You said you have several tables in an excel sheet for the update.  I would start by using the "table to table" tool to convert each table for use in the file geodatabase.  Then I would create a new blank table in the file geodatabase and append all of my newly converted tables into that one blank table.  This gives you one table to work with when updating your feature class.  If you plan to repeat this process, I would suggest truncating the final table before appending it.

Hope this helps point you into the right direction.

Amanda

Amanda Bishop, GISP