Attribute Rules - All fields must be visible?

06-18-2021 01:47 PM
TimJohnston3
New Contributor III

How come all attributes must be visible for Attribute Rules to function?

I would like to hide columns , like OBJECTID and SHAPE, from the users when they edit in the attribute table.  I don't understand why they must be visible.  

When I analyze a map with Attribute Rules which has a Feature Class with some column invisible, I get the following errors:  00302 All fields in datasets with attribute rules must be visible.

TimJohnston3_0-1624049085304.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

00302: All fields in datasets with <value> must be visible: field <value> in layer <value> is not—Ar...

It doesn't say, but the link in the above

Data design—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

it just states that contingent values and attribute rules both require visible fields.  At the bottom of the last link... perhaps the reason for visible fields lies in the description of their functionality.  Who knows...

visibility doesn't pop up as and Idea

Attribute rules

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
MatthewBrown8
Esri Contributor

Hi TimJohnston3,

After some testing, I found that the following steps provided a suitable workaround:

1. Remove all attribute rules and Contingent Values from the geodatabase.
  2. Publish Maps/Apps (with hidden fields)
  3. Re-deploy Attribute Rules and Contingent Values to the database.
  4. Restart any services that utilise layers configured with attribute rules and contingent values.

Regards,

Matthew
0 Kudos
ChaimSchwartzIroads
New Contributor III

I think I found another workaround to Matthew's, that should be easier to maintain over time:

1. Publish the the service with all fields displayed.

2. In Portal, open the visualization tab for the published item.

3. Make desited changes to the layer's pop up configuration.

4. And here's the trick - saves as new layer - which basically creates another item - referencing the same data. This is important because if you just save the changes to the first item - these changes would get overriden the next time you overwrite your service. 

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

The geodatabase team has heard many users voice concerns about this analyzer error blocking publishing when having hidden fields. While this may be problematic in some cases of hidden fields being used in a rule, it is not always the case.

The existing analyzer error will become a warning instead.

ChaimSchwartzIroads
New Contributor III

That is great to hear, thank you!

0 Kudos
MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Looks like this was handled in BUG-000156079
That will be helpful to see where it is fixed in releases and patches.

0 Kudos
ChaimSchwartzIroads
New Contributor III

Based on that information, the bug has already been fixed in 3.2

MelissaJarman
Esri Contributor

Yes it was also included in 2.9.11 and 3.1.4 (not sure why it is not showing this version yet). 

https://www.esri.com/content/dam/esrisites/en-us/media/products/arcgis-pro-issues-addressed/arcgis-p...

0 Kudos