ArcMap vs Arcpro

Jump to solution
07-21-2021 09:16 AM
EliyahJno_Baptiste
New Contributor II

Greetings,

Is Arcpro the same as arcmap or an upgraded version. Is Arcmap/Arcgis desktop still being used? If new to GIS, which is better to start with?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The two programs are very different with very approaches to the same end.  If you are just starting out, forget ArcMap/ArcCatalog and focus your efforts on ArcGIS Pro. (Just my opinion after using ESRI software since 1990...)

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, if you're looking for resources to learn ArcGIS Pro, you may want to check out this free learning plan. It's a good starting point. https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/5b733d0c8659c25ea7013df9/arcgis-pro-fundamentals/

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

ArcGIS Pro is the replacement to ArcMap as ArcMap is a dated application (1999-present).  If you're new to GIS, I'd recommend to start learning ArcGIS Pro.  There are a lot of free ArcGIS Pro training on the "Learn ArcGIS" website.  Good luck!

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

The two programs are very different with very approaches to the same end.  If you are just starting out, forget ArcMap/ArcCatalog and focus your efforts on ArcGIS Pro. (Just my opinion after using ESRI software since 1990...)

That should just about do it....
Suzanne-Boden
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi, if you're looking for resources to learn ArcGIS Pro, you may want to check out this free learning plan. It's a good starting point. https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/5b733d0c8659c25ea7013df9/arcgis-pro-fundamentals/

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have posted a list comparing the two applications and some of the things to consider. ArcMap is mature, but it is far from dead. I predict that it will be in use long after its planned 2026 retirement date.

ArcMap vs ArcGIS Pro 

It's much easier to learn ArcGIS Pro first, and ArcMap second.

EliyahJno_Baptiste
New Contributor II

Thanks for clearing this up guys. I am looking into the ArcGIS Pro learning plan.

0 Kudos