Downloading UGIS4setup.exe file for Kindle edition of Understanding GIS An ArcGIS Pro Project workbook 4th edition

Jump to solution
12-23-2020 09:53 AM
JohnWilkins
New Contributor II

I'm having trouble downloading the ugis4setup.exe file for the above-mentioned book.  Windows is apparently blocking the download.  I reported to Windows that the file source and app is safe, but it still will not download.  I have a one-year student license, so do not need the 180 day license that comes with the book.  Please help me download the ugis4setup.exe file. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

If you already have a license, then you won't need to utilize the license that comes with the book.

To download the data right-click the link and select Save link as, shown in the first graphic above. 

Let me know how it goes,

Craig

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi John,

I can help you with that.

Using Chrome you can follow these steps.

Starting from the resources page at https://esripress.esri.com/bookResources/index.cfm?event=catalog.book&id=59

Step01.jpg

Step02.jpg

Step03.jpg

From there, click through the standard installation process. Accept the license agreement and the standard installation location and you should be good to go.

Let me know if you encounter any issues, I'm here to help!

Craig

JohnWilkins
New Contributor II
Craig,

Do I have to click on accepting the 180-day trial (the second item under Data and Exercises) before downloading the data for the exercises (the first item under Data and Exercises)? I ask this because I already have a one-year student license that I'm currently using for my ArcGIS Pro research. When I attempt to download the data directly (the first item under Data and Exercises), nothing happens (e.g., no downloading occurs onto my computer).

I ask this question also because I would not want to limit my use of the data in the book simply for 180 days, since I do have the one-year renewable student license and wish to continue using the book's exercises in the future - beyond a 180-day limit.

John

John Wilkins (aka Wilkins-Wells)
Colorado State University (retired)
2610 Cherry St
Fort Collins, Colorado 80521
cell phone - 970-218-5088
0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

If you already have a license, then you won't need to utilize the license that comes with the book.

To download the data right-click the link and select Save link as, shown in the first graphic above. 

Let me know how it goes,

Craig

0 Kudos
JohnWilkins
New Contributor II

I'm following your instructions carefully.  when I get to saving the .exe file, Windows is apparently saying I cannot download the file safely.  See image:

JohnWilkins_0-1608756722208.png

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Looks like you are almost there!

Just to the right of the word "Discard" click on the down-arrow and select "Keep". Check the second image above for reference.

Once the download is finished, follow the step in the third image for opening instructions.

0 Kudos
JohnWilkins
New Contributor II
Craig,

It looks like it is sitting in the right folder. I'll try working with the lessons tomorrow, but I'm assuming things are OK now. Thanks for your help.

John

[cid:e0e02f3a-2e5b-42cd-840f-c357ac6f4822]

John Wilkins (aka Wilkins-Wells)
Colorado State University (retired)
2610 Cherry St
Fort Collins, Colorado 80521
cell phone - 970-218-5088
0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Sure thing.

Let me know if anything else comes up.

Craig

0 Kudos
KellyAlquiza
New Contributor

Hi there!  

I'm having trouble finding a resource page for the Getting to Know ArcGIS 4th edition textbook and its' exercises.  I realize it's an outdated version but purchased what was reccomended by the UC Davis fundamentals course.  Is there a way to still locate those?  Thank you for your help.

I'm taking the UC Davis course on ArcGIS fundamentals and I discovered after purchasing materials that ArcGIS is getting rid of Arc

0 Kudos
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Kelly,

Esri's desktop software products include both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap is no longer being updated and has been replaced by ArcGIS Pro.

If your book cover looks like this:

GTK_4thEdition.jpg

then that book was written for an old version of ArcMap, hopefully you can return or exchange the book. The latest edition, (sixth edition) uses a fairly similar exercise dataset which may work if you do keep that book, exercise data can be found here. You can either download the exercise data file that is available as a ZIP file, "Getting to Know ArcGIS 10.8 Exercise Data - ZIP file" in which case you should download, unzip and locate it on your C: drive, or you can download the file, "Getting to Know ArcGIS 10.8 Exercise Data" and allow it to install on your computer.

Since it sounds like you are just starting out with GIS (welcome!) I would strongly recommend learning the current version of the software, ArcGIS Pro. It is much easier to learn, operates faster and has a modern interface!

We have a new book for ArcGIS Pro that is publishing tomorrow (8/31/21) that you may find useful, GIS Tutorial for ArcGIS Pro 2.8. We also offer dozens of free, self-paced GIS lessons at learn.arcgis.com.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with,

Craig

0 Kudos