ArcGIS Desktop Python Exercises

Jump to solution
08-26-2021 03:01 PM
JenniferGrove
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am looking for the exercises that accompany the book:  Python Scripting for ArcGIS, Zandbergen, P.A., 2013. ISBN 978-1-58948-282-1. ESRI Press, 380 New York St., Redlands, California.

My university bookstore mentioned the book was out of print.  I was able to purchase a used paperback and the kindle edition through Amazon.  However, I am unable to find the exercises that accompany the book.  It looks like there are only exercises for the Pro version of ArcGIS available.

I am a graduate student.  This is actually our assigned book.  I would like to do these exercises to learn more for my coursework in GIS Programming (Python for ArcGIS Desktop).

Thank you,

Jennifer Grove

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

I've made the exercise data for that book available here.

If possible, I would encourage you to instead use the updated books, Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro or Advanced Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro.

These new books are written for ArcGIS Pro (which you probably have a license to, if you have ArcMap as they are both covered under a Desktop license), and they use Python 3, while Python for ArcGIS Desktop uses ArcMap (no longer being updated) and is limited to Python 2, more on that here.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with,

Craig

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Craig_Carpenter
Esri Contributor

Hi Jennifer,

I've made the exercise data for that book available here.

If possible, I would encourage you to instead use the updated books, Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro or Advanced Python Scripting for ArcGIS Pro.

These new books are written for ArcGIS Pro (which you probably have a license to, if you have ArcMap as they are both covered under a Desktop license), and they use Python 3, while Python for ArcGIS Desktop uses ArcMap (no longer being updated) and is limited to Python 2, more on that here.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with,

Craig

JenniferGrove
New Contributor II

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos