Review survey images (and other data) before sharing them

05-09-2022 09:29 AM
Labels (1)
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
2 1 523

We've all seen students attempting to be funny but being inappropriate. And if you haven't seen it, ask any class to fill out a 2 question survey with a nickname and an image.

So how can we get data from the class and not put the work of the jokers in front of the other students? Add in a review step so that only approved data is shared with the class. 

To add a review step is a simple, but involved, process. (If you've seen demos I've done or other blogs, you likely know by now that what I mean is that there are going to be a number of steps, but that I hold your hand through them - as long as you pay attention, you've got this! If, however, you are intimidated by long processes, this is likely not for you.)

So how can we create a survey with a review process in place? Here are the highlights:

1. Create a survey just like you usually do.
  2. Add a field to the data that stores if it is reviewed or not.
  3. After entries are submitted, review each submission and mark it as approved or rejected.
    There are a number of ways to review the data, but I find using a dashboard is a pretty slick way to do so, especially when you have a high volume of data and want to have a list of just what is left to review.
  4. Create a layer view that only includes the approved data, and use it in maps and apps for your class to see.

Want to try it out for yourself? Head over to this dashboard to see how it works once all set up: you'll submit the survey, review your entry, then see it in the approved results.

surveyReviewDashboard.png

Are you ready to see the full implementation details? Head back to the dashboard and expand the section at the bottom of the survey. Questions? Just leave a comment here.

These are wrapped into a single dashboard to give you one place to see the workflow. In reality, your survey will be handed out as it always is, the dashboard will just be for your use, and you'll use the approved results the same way you use results today.

Tags (2)
1 Comment
PaulLong
New Contributor II

Kylie,

I work for Montgomery County MD and this is great stuff for us to get started with several Survey 123 projects to help automate our maintenance of our Storm Drain Network System

About the Author
Our kids need GIS in their problem-solving toolboxes. I'm working to get digital maps into each K-12 classroom and the hands of each child. A long-time Esri employee, I've previously worked on Esri's mobile apps, focused on documentation and best practices. Out of the office I'm a runner often found on the trails or chasing my children.