DHC Simple Asset Management

03-24-2020 12:36 PM
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

One of the stated requirements for the district heating and cooling data model is to support simple asset management.  This sounds great, but I think everyone has a slightly different opinion on what this means.  So, if you were to make a top ten list of what it means to perform simple asset management of a DHC in a GIS what would that list be.  Here are my thoughts to get the discussion started:

Tom's Top Ten List of Simple Asset Management

1. Ability to create and maintain a digital representation of the physical pipe system.

2. Spatial representation and accurate location of the pipes, devices, fittings and supporting structures of a DHC.

3. Each asset has enough physical description (material, diameter,etc) to support analytical needs of hydraulic analysis, risk analysis, and operational management.

4. Each asset knows its manufacturer and manufacturer lot number to support factory recall identification.

5. Pipe system digital representation is of enough detail to support hydraulic analysis.

6. Pipe system digital representation is of enough detail to support emergency management/leak response tasks.

7. Pipe system digital representation is of enough detail to support risk analysis.

8. Pipe system digital representation is of enough detail to support system growth planning.

9. Each asset has a unique assetID.

10. Each asset knows the Project Number and Work Order ID under which it was installed.

That's my top ten list.  What is yours?

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc

2 Replies
EricStraalman
New Contributor II

Hi Tom, in my perception, Asset Management is defined as: Maintaining the network assets after it has been build. Some include work order and resource management as part of asset management, (which might be correct) but in the context of our community I would limited it as maintaining assets. Also this would be a topic that could be handled by a working group providing us the workflows and use cases related to asset management. What do you think? 

0 Kudos
DanielleNeufelt
New Contributor

Hi,

1.simple asset management in a GIS = should first describe correctly the network, and how the network works (sources, endusers, control elements...).

2. The symbology is appropriate to scale of the maps as well as to the the country/ company symboloby, so that every employee understands the assets in the map at first sight. Also a good performant labelling is necessary, adapting its size and content on different map scales, and always updating when the related object attribute information is changed. The same symbology and labelling can be used as well in the desktop, on the web, on mobile devices.

3. The creation and update of the asset information by the end user is efficient and performant.

4. I can query easily and quickly which end points are supplied  by which source, and which source supplies which end-points. I can even display this information on a map, diagramm or report, for communication with endusers not having ArcGIS running on their device

5, Each element is identifiable and can communicate with third party applications (network calculation, SAP, etc.)

6. I can follow the lifecycle of the assets: from their construction to their removal, with the maintenance actions made on it. I can even see how was my network at a certain moment back in time. 

7. I can create reports of the assets added / removed and repaired on my network every year.

8. I can plan grid extension and changes on my network with the GIS, and simulate the way the network would work after realisation of grid changes.

0 Kudos