Classification of Pipes for DHC

03-24-2020 12:11 PM
Labels (2)
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Based on the feedback from data model group participants around the world, it looks like the recommended categorization and sub-categorization is as follows:

Does this look like the correct method for organizing DHC pipes?  Is this list complete?  Is the list of sub-categories for these different types of pipe complete and correct?  What about these additional potential pipe categories?

Let me know what you think?

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricStraalman
New Contributor II

Thanks again Tom for this. The way you classified it, is the way I would have done it, however some time ago I wasn't so sure anymore. The reason is that not so long ago, I heard somebody saying that the pipe can be used for any type of media (chilled water, hot water, steam what so ever) It is the pump that is connected to the pipe that determines if chilled, hot etc. Interesting topic to discuss I think. :-). Looking forward to some reactions from the others on this topic.

0 Kudos
DanielleNeufelt
New Contributor

Hi Tom

I have two feedbacks based on your first slide:

1. I find disturbing to to propose a mix of assetgroups/assettypes (service line with temperatures as assettypes, but the other pipes with temperature distinction on the assetgroup level). As an enduser, I would have difficulties to understand it.

2. I don't think that we should build the pipe assetgroups based on the Temperature of the water. I think that this property is defined by the station, source of the heat/cold delivery. You could have a subnetwork working with high temperatures, but want to reduce these temperatures for efficiency reasons. You would only change the dimensioning of the elements where absolutely necessary, but try to use the same network, at lower temperatures. This is a strategy which is being more and more undertaken in Europe.  Additionnally, the aim is to have a modern low-temperature network that is operated on a sliding scale depending on the outside temperature. Per example: In winter, with an outside temperature of -8°C, this is approx. 115°C, and from an outside temperature of +15°C it is approx. 75°C.

So, the temperature should be attributed to the elements of the subnetwork by the subnetwork controller.

I would suggest to make a distinction on the assetgroup level based on the "type" of pipe: service pipe, distribution pipe, transport pipe. Here the rules would also come in use: you should not connect a service pipe to a transport pipe.

I'm curious about the reaction of other people about it.

Best greetings

Danielle

Geocom by VertiGIS

0 Kudos
TomDeWitte
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Danielle,

This is great feedback.  This is exactly the critical type of thinking and review of the data model that is needed to make this data model a success.  Thank you for this.

What do you think about organizing the DHCLine featureclass (ie pipes) with the following asset group (asset types):

-Service (Unknown, Hot Water, Chilled Water, Steam, Condensate)

-Distribution (Unknown, Hot Water, Chilled Water, Steam, Condensate)

-Transmission( Unknown, Hot Water, Chilled Water, Steam, Condensate)

-Bypass (Unknown, Hot Water, Chilled Water, Steam, Condensate)

-Discharge (Unknown, Steam, Condensate)

-Sensing  (Unknown, Pressure)

The designation is whether the pipe is a "Supply", "Return", or "Reserve" would be stored as a separate attribute.

Would really like to hear everyone's thoughts on this idea for reorganizing the asset groups and asset types for DHCLines.

Tom DeWitte

Esri, Inc

0 Kudos