Synchronize Replica failed: The operation was attempted on an empty geometry

03-14-2013 10:15 AM
ShawnSimpson
New Contributor
I have a replica that refuses to sync due to an empty geometry error.

Some details regarding the data:
* Software is ArcGIS 10. Desktop is SP4; however, I am uncertain as to what SP is applied to SDE. I can certainly find out, if needed.
* Performing checkout/check-in replication - the replica is a file geodatabase.
* The data being replicated does participate in a geometric network and we are using the full model.
* Even though the intent to add features existed at the time of replica creation, there may be an empty feature class in the replica database at the time of sync. I'm uncertain if or how this could affect synchronization, but I'm listing it as a detail, just in case...
* We have utilized the Verify Network Feature Geometry and Network Build Error tools from the Geometric Network Editing toolbar and both return their respective message for all features being valid.
* We ran Data Reviewer Invalid Geometry checks against the feature classes in the parent database, as well as the feature classes in the replica. In the parent database, for the extent we are replicating, there were 2 features returned from the check. In the replica database, there were 4 features returned from the check. We have edited/corrected all invalid features; however, we still receive the error when attempting to sync.

Has anyone ran into this issue before? Any ideas, troubleshooting tips, etc... would be most appreciated. At this point, we don't mind deleting the replica and starting over; however, I foresee us hitting this again and would love to put my finger on the exact cause of this issue.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanShinnick
New Contributor III
I've just run into this exactly as you describe.  I've verified geometry w/ check geometry on every FC in the check-out.  I was curious if you'd learned of a solution?
0 Kudos
Jen_Zumbado-Hannibal
Occasional Contributor

Can't believe it's 9 years later since this post and I'm also experience this incident. 

I'm running:

Enterprise 10.9.1 on SQL 2019.  Using Desktop ArcMap 10.8.2. 

Anyone know why this could be happening with this latest version? 

Jen Zumbado-Hannibal, GISP
GIS Coordinator
City of Forest Grove
Forest Grove, OR 97116

0 Kudos