open netcdf file with different years

04-11-2016 05:02 AM
JankaVanschoenwinkel
New Contributor

I downloaded monthly gridded data from this website: http://browse.ceda.ac.uk/browse/badc/cru/data

(Registration is free, but required. Once registered, go to the tab “dataset” and search for “CRU”. You will find a number of datasets. Click on “CRU TS3.23: Climatic Research Unit (CRU) Time-Series (TS) Version 3.23 of High Resolution Gridded Data of Month-by-month Variation in Climate (Jan. 1901- Dec. 2014)”, click “Data”, then chose a variable (for instance “pet”). Chose the year-period (I took 2001-2010).

The file that you have now should contain monthly grids from January 2001 till December 2010. It is a netcdf file but I do not manage to see the different years. Once I open in it Arc Gis, I don’t find a way to select the different year/month-layers. I used "multidimensional tools" in the toolbox to open the map. I found on the internet somebody else who had the same problem, but I don't understand how he solved it. I am relatively new to ArcGis. (NetCDF to Raster (arcgis) - GIS - CartoTalk )

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JankaVanschoenwinkel
New Contributor

And probably relevant to mention: I have followed the instructions here: How to Define and Visualize Time Dimension in ArcGIS | GES DISC

But the time slider does not work for me.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you might want to move this to Managing Data​ to see if there are any other ideas

0 Kudos
JankaVanschoenwinkel
New Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have been looking at the website (I didn't know all of them), but they do not answer the questions that I have.

I have moved the question as you suggested! Thanks!

0 Kudos
AndrewKeith3
Occasional Contributor

Once added to your map, double click on the layer and click on the NetCDF tab.  Under this tab you can click on Value and change the time you want to look at.

0 Kudos
AndrewKeith3
Occasional Contributor

You can also go to the Time tab and time enable the layer to make it easy to step through the different time intervals.

JankaVanschoenwinkel
New Contributor

Hi Andrew,

Thank you very much for your reply and sorry for my belated answer!

I do not manage to do what you suggest because I have a problem with reading the time dimension. The file I upload ranges from january 2000 to december 2010.

However, it shows me only some time values in 1900 (which is not correct since only monthly values are available).

problem2.png

I should be able to adapt this under the 'Time-tab' but each time I change the 'Time Step Interval' to 'Months', it changes it back to 'Minutes'.

problem.JPG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

there seems to be a regional setting differences between your examples and Andrew's

0 Kudos
JankaVanschoenwinkel
New Contributor

Which I can solve only if I know Andrew's settings? Or do you see from the example I gave immediately where the difference is?

0 Kudos