legend for scatterplot

10-24-2021 10:35 PM
saidurgamalleswarthota
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to use three variables at a time in a scatterplot. I chose two variables for the x and y-axis. And the third one is the size of the symbol proportional to the attribute.

Can anyone please tell me how to make a legend for the plot showing the details of axis and the size of the symbol? I'll attach the figures for reference. Thank you.

Screenshot 2021-10-25 143308.png

Screenshot 2021-10-25 143250.jpg

  I want to show the radius of symbol ranges in the legend. Please help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello saidurgamalleswarthota,

I am assuming you are trying to do this within the Scatterplot Chart in Map View using ArcGIS Pro. I do not think there is the capability to make a legend within that chart. However, I did think of a workaround for you that involves creating a layout view. Please see below:

Step 1: In map view, create scatterplot and define settings.

• In the Contents window, define Symbology to match the desired proportional symbology (see purple box, MapView.png).
  • If the Show linear trend "legend" item is not desired, turn it off (see red box, MapView.png).
  • This is done in Map View (see green box, MapView.png)
  • MikeIvison1_0-1635178915701.png

MapView.png

Step 2: Create a New Layout --> Insert Map Frame w/ data, Chart Frame, and Legend using Insert Ribbon

• In Drawing Order window, only Legend and Chart Frame need to be toggled on (see purple box, LayoutView.png).
  • In the layout, arrange elements as desired (For illustration purposes, see blue border {Chart Frame} and purple border {Legend}, LayoutView.png). 
  • This is done in LayoutView (see green box, LayoutView.png).
  • MikeIvison1_1-1635179220834.png

LayoutView.png

Once edited to your satisfaction, it can be printed, exported as a PDF, exported as a png --> whatever is needed for your purpose. I hope this is helpful.

Cheers!

Mike

0 Kudos
FredDominguez1
New Contributor

Hi, I would not use a bubbles as a third variable (actually scatter plots are used to show trends/possible correlations between 2 variables) since it is confusing for reader. The line is good for central tendency (you should label this). I would suggest an heat area visual around the dispersion (darker colors near the line, lighter shade moving away from the line) and a side visual for proportions.

fred

0 Kudos
saidurgamalleswarthota
New Contributor III

Thank you for your suggestion. They helped me a lot.

0 Kudos