How to automatically fill attribute table field after snapping?

05-24-2022 09:28 AM
AliSaribas
New Contributor

Hi, I posted this in the water utilities subcommunity but it might be helpful to post it here as well.

I am a GIS Technician at a large water utilities company tasked with editing their resources and operations in GIS. I am currently drawing customer service lines from water mains to customer points, and I was wondering if there was a way to automatically transfer the text from a field in the newly generated service line to the customer point itself. Basically, whenever I create a new service line, an ID is automatically generated, but I need to then copy that new ID to a field in the customer point for service line IDs. This might be a long shot, but is there a way I can automate this process through a script in Arcade or Python?

So, I am looking to see if it's possible to automatically populate a the service line field in customer point's attribute table after I snap the service line polygon to said customer point. I am doing hundreds of these drawings per day, so if I was able to skip the copying it would save me a lot of time and help my sanity a bit. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ClaudioRuschel
New Contributor III

If you are trying to give some intelligence to your daily tasks, it seems you might consider to deploy a Utility Network model in order to take some benefits, like relate customer points to service lines. It is needed only an ArcGIS Pro and a File Geodatabase. Take a look:

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/what-is-a-utility-network-.htm