Do raster pyramids affect the values returned by the identify tool or popups?

Jump to solution
01-24-2023 01:24 PM
Labels (2)
Mark_Johnson
New Contributor III

If you query a raster dataset, say a DEM, using Arc Pro's Explore tool or just clicking in a web map if the raster has been published, and the raster has pyramids, will the tool return the actual value of whatever cell is at the coordinate clicked, or will it return the interpolated value of whatever pyramid level the display is at?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

The tool should return the actual service pixel value when set to display visible layers, provided the source files are visible.  The screen shot below shows imagery from our published service it returns the same value for both the original image and the displayed files files.  Pyramids are only used for rendering and not data; however, do watch out for overview files.  These will be different and are identifiable in the Pop-up info.

LanceCole_0-1674605759846.png 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LanceCole
MVP Regular Contributor

The tool should return the actual service pixel value when set to display visible layers, provided the source files are visible.  The screen shot below shows imagery from our published service it returns the same value for both the original image and the displayed files files.  Pyramids are only used for rendering and not data; however, do watch out for overview files.  These will be different and are identifiable in the Pop-up info.

LanceCole_0-1674605759846.png 

Mark_Johnson
New Contributor III

Just to clarify, I'm working with a single geodatabase raster. Once I figured out I had to publish from Catalog - not as a map image layer - to be able to configure a popup, then I started seeing the Service Pixel Value you referred to.

Thanks for the reply and pointing me at the right words to search on to find what I needed.

0 Kudos