Can I reconcile multiple versions of a dataset hosted in different databases?

Jump to solution
08-10-2022 11:32 AM
MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I'm brand new to  versioning and I just started a job where there are multiple versions of some feature classes and they are all in different geodatabases and they all have different edits to them. One is in our dev enterprise geodatabase, one is in the prod geodatabase, one is in AGOL and there is a local copy that has the most recent edits. 

I've been looking into using the Reconcile Versions tool or using the versioning tab to take the latest edits from each dataset and merge them into all versions. From what I can tell, versioning can only be used if each version is in the same geodatabase and it looks like versioning needed to have been "turned on" before the different versions were created. Do I need to manually make these edits again, or is there another approach?

I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.0 and I think Enterprise 10.6

Thanks in advance,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

there is no automated way for you to import the edits in the geodatabase in the scenario you are in. Importing the feature class will only create a copy of the feature class, you will still need to compare the underlying data. This is why you must use a process to compare the two datasets to discover the changes that were made and either manually or programmatically apply the edits to the table in the enterprise.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I can confirm that versioning of data applies to data within the same geodatabase, as you mentioned above.

You would need to get the edits from out of the geodatabase (file GDB) and load them into the target. You could then use reconcile / post to push them to DEFAULT.

I am not sure what the "best" way would be based on the current understanding of the scenario.

--- George T.
MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

OK, thanks, that sounds like it should work, but I'm getting an error when I try to import the feature classes into the enterprise geodatabase. I'm able to make edits to features in the enterprise geodatabase, so it doesn't make sense that I can't import a feature class. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

MattCotterill_1-1660250608201.png

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

there is no automated way for you to import the edits in the geodatabase in the scenario you are in. Importing the feature class will only create a copy of the feature class, you will still need to compare the underlying data. This is why you must use a process to compare the two datasets to discover the changes that were made and either manually or programmatically apply the edits to the table in the enterprise.

MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

My thought was that once I had a copy of the edited version in the enterprise geodatabase, I could run the Reconcile Versions tool or Reconcile/post button to compare/import the edits. Would that not work?

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

No, that will not work. Reconcile is used to manage existing edits on a single table / feature class made within the geodatabase. Because your edits have been made across multiple databases, across multiple datasets, you must identify the changes yourself either manually or using one of the other tools I mentioned and then you must apply those edits to your original dataset manually.

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The data comparison toolbox in ArcGIS Pro can help with identifying the changes between environment, but you will still need to apply them to the environment manually, or develop your own script.

George is correct, versioning is a way of managing transactions within a single geodatabase. For your needs you will need to identify the differences between your various datasets, determine which is most authoritative, then apply them to your enterprise geodatabase. Going forward you could consider putting some workflows in place to guard against this kind of problem. Its common to say that edits made against development will not be tracked, and you may be able to use something like replication to manage edits made by disconnected users.

MattCotterill
Occasional Contributor

OK, thanks!

I tried using the Feature Compare tool and got an error when I tried to name the Output Compare File because "The name contains invalid characters." I entered:  I:\sewers\mainscompare.*

Any idea which character is invalid?

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The tool is designed to compare feature classes or layers, so you should be pointing to a specific layer in both your enterprise and local geodatabase. If you are comparing many layers you may want to create a model or python script to help make this process easier.

0 Kudos