State Tree Diagram for 10.1 and above

04-03-2013 06:05 AM
Labels (1)
KirkWebb
New Contributor III

I have used the state tree diagram included in the GDBT tools included in 10.0.  I was dissapointed to find out at 10.1 this diagram is not included.  I spoke with ESRI Reps at the recent developers summit and one of them said that I can still find out the current state.  I do know that there are other ways to find out the current state.  However, the diagram is a great and quick way to find this information.  After a recon post compress or if I want to get a general ideas of who has been editing I can look at the state tree diagram and in 1 second see this information.
As mappers we tend to very visual people.  Looking at a tree diagram is much like looking at a map to find out information quickly.  I would very much like to see this diagram functionality developed for 10.2 and above and once again included in the ArcGIS Platform.
Thanks,
Kirk Webb

35 Comments
WaiChan1
I am big fan of all the functionalities of GDBT, especially the state tree diagram. Please bring it back!!
DavidColey
Yes, we use to use this all the time to track down orphan states.  Please bring it back
Thanks
David
StevenHook
Having the state tree added to the geodatabase tools in 10.1 would be a great asset. I've used the geodatabase toolset ever since it was available going back to the 9.x days. What a great visual tool to use to quickly review edits made and to see the current state of the geodatabase. Please consider adding it back soon.
Regards,
Steve
ChrisMcGuire
The State Tree Diagram is useful for communicating conflicts and lineage issues.
by Anonymous User
Still want this!
ThomasBohnert2
It would be great if the state tree diagram would come back!

I like!
&
I need it!
state tree diagram
BrianOevermann
The state tree diagram is what I primarily use the GDBT for. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say. Please make the state tree diagram part of core!
ClaraDair
Esri, you know that GIS professionals are primarily visual thinkers (or is it the other way 'round?), that's why the state tree diagram (version lineage tree) is such a valuable tool to us. When using this tool for teaching, the real-time feedback to students reinforces their learning process and results in better understanding and data management decision-making. 

In day to day data management, the state tree conveys information that the replacement tabular UI format does not.  In a troubleshooting situation, the information in the version lineage is immediately accessed without the need for tabular or in the really old days, commandline access. 

The version lineage tree conveys the relationships between the versions that a table cannot do, and is a better way to inform us when data admin action is needed. While we do use and value story maps and other web based applications, where do these feature services come from? 

The ironic piece of this user request is that the tool is already available, and has worked in versions beyond 10.0, but we are not allowed to access it without gyrations via workarounds that some are organizationally unable to implement. 

This post reiterates our request to Esri to bring back the 'State Tree Diagram for 10.1 and above' via an install that is not a workaround.  Thank you, Clara.

ChrisStrobl
I want to add my name to the list of folks that would like to see the graphic state tree diagram functionallity reinstated as part of the ArcGIS Desktop/ArcGIS Pro product.  As an SDE Instructor, this functionality provides a great teaching tool to visualize and learn how versioning works.  As a Data Manager, I concur with others who have stated that a picture allows very quick interpretation on a number of things related to versiond database health.  Such things as comparing versions to confirm they are the same, determining the need for version managment in order to achieve a more effective compress, visualization of a database that may be suffering from performance issues, etc. are among those things that are easily done with this tool.
JariSiiskonen
While waiting for this,
for your information, GDBT 10 still works in ArcCatalog 10.3.x with registry hack.
Just have to convince GDBT installer that ArcGIS 10.0 is installed:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\Desktop10.0]
"InstallDir"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ArcGIS\\Desktop10.3\\"