Why was my post removed as spam?

Jump to solution
03-01-2023 09:25 AM
PhilippNagel1
New Contributor III

I posted a response to an older idea in the Ideas community. I just navigated back to it and was presented with a message indicating that my reply was removed as spam.

Why was it removed as spam?

Why was I not notified of this happening or given an opportunity to rectify whatever the moderators think I did wrong?

What can I do to post my reply and not have it removed again, which I believe is a valuable addition to the Idea?

Further, I just noticed that suddenly, the link I referred to in my reply has also been taken down with the message

Sorry, the page you are trying to access has either been archived or you are unable to access with the account you are logged in with.

Please contact our team at EsriCommunity@esri.com if you require help with access. Thanks

This is the Ideas thread I posted on.

This is the link to the reply I had posted, which is now unavailable.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Hi @PhilippNagel1

Sorry for any confusion regarding your post having been incorrectly marked as spam. Our automated spam filter system is usually good at figuring out which posts are and aren't spam, but it does make mistakes from time to time and sets them aside until our team can give them a review. Noting that you have a public response in the Ideas thread now, it appears that a member of our team identified the error our system made during a daily check and released the post. The original link to the spam notification would have been removed during that process, leading to the message you saw about it having either been archived or that your account isn't permitted to access it. 

Though it's uncommon, if another of your posts is incorrectly identified again please do reach out to our team to let us know. The quickest way to reach us is by emailing esricommunity@esri.com and one of us will be more than happy to investigate as quickly as we can. 

If you have any questions or if I've missed a detail that remains unanswered for you, please let me know.

Stay well!

Jesse Cloutier
Community Manager, Engagement & Content

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Hi @PhilippNagel1

Sorry for any confusion regarding your post having been incorrectly marked as spam. Our automated spam filter system is usually good at figuring out which posts are and aren't spam, but it does make mistakes from time to time and sets them aside until our team can give them a review. Noting that you have a public response in the Ideas thread now, it appears that a member of our team identified the error our system made during a daily check and released the post. The original link to the spam notification would have been removed during that process, leading to the message you saw about it having either been archived or that your account isn't permitted to access it. 

Though it's uncommon, if another of your posts is incorrectly identified again please do reach out to our team to let us know. The quickest way to reach us is by emailing esricommunity@esri.com and one of us will be more than happy to investigate as quickly as we can. 

If you have any questions or if I've missed a detail that remains unanswered for you, please let me know.

Stay well!

Jesse Cloutier
0 Kudos
PhilippNagel1
New Contributor III

Thank you Jesse. It would be nice to include some of this information in the message about the post having been removed as spam, and also to give users an option to appeal that decision, instead of just having to wait for someone to look at it at an undefined time. Even including the email address you provided in the deletion message would be a good start.

JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

You're more than welcome and thank you for the feedback! The language may not be as clear as we intend, but if you look at the topmost screenshot you attached to this post, there's a prompt to submit an "abuse report" if you believe your post was marked as spam in error. That's one more way to alert our team to do a review ASAP. When that process takes place, we receive an email notification that provides details about the post and any note you include to provide context.

Jesse Cloutier
0 Kudos
PhilippNagel1
New Contributor III

I did click that link actually and it took me to a form that said I was reporting a post for abuse, so that didn't seem right, either.

0 Kudos
JesseCloutier
Esri Community Manager

Thanks for following up with these additional details and for describing how and why you found the process confusing. Our team may need to do some investigating around the language there as we continually work to improve Esri Community for all our members.

Jesse Cloutier
0 Kudos