Indicate that an idea has been reviewed by Esri staff and is understood

06-02-2023 12:06 PM
Bud
by
Notable Contributor

It's my understanding that Esri staff review ideas after they are submitted. (Often pretty quickly too. For example, @KoryKramer and the ArcGIS Pro team seem to review many ideas within hours or days of submission.)

Problem:
It's my sense that community members often have no indication that Esri staff have reviewed an idea and understand the request. The idea typically just stays in the Open status for a few years -- appearing as though Esri staff haven't looked at it. The exception is if Esri staff comment or change the status. But that's often not the case with well-understood ideas (and ideas that are very specific/not as popular).

I think it would help community member morale if we knew that Esri staff have reviewed a given idea. Otherwise, if we get silence, it makes it appear as if the idea has fallen on deaf ears -- even though in reality, that's likely not the case (doing Esri staff a disservice).

Related: Better communication from ESRI about idea statuses

Could the ideas process be enhanced so that there is an indication that ideas have been reviewed by Esri staff? Or am I forgetting some existing functionality that already does this?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
4 Replies
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor

Agree that communication could be improved. Some product teams are pretty good about updating statuses, but just in the last week I encountered one request that had already been implemented (would have been good to know) and one that is about to be that hadn't been pushed to 'in product plan.' What's the point of the statuses if they're not going to be used? Not only that, but Esri staff literally asked me to check if it was implemented. Whiskey tango foxtrot, my friends?

DaraBurlo
Esri Community Manager

@Bud Thanks for bringing this up again. @KoryKramer's response was well written in the Better communication from ESRI about idea statuses. We are working on ways to improve the communication, monitoring, managing and decision making related to ArcGIS Ideas.

Bud
by
Notable Contributor

@DaraBurlo 

Any update?

I still think a simple flag in an idea that says, "Esri staff have seen and reviewed the idea," would go a really long way when it comes to customer happiness.

Sure, those of us who have extensive experience in the ArcGIS Pro Ideas page and the Community Ideas page (specifically) can deduce that all ideas are reviewed by Esri staff. Because we often get replies from Esri for those ideas. But it wouldn't be clear to casual ideas submitters that their ideas have been seen by Esri. There is often no indication that Esri staff have seen a given idea.
And it is not clear to me that my ideas in other Ideas pages get reviewed by Esri staff. The Enterprise, Data Management, and Attribute Rules ideas pages are examples.

Even something as simple as this could help:

1. When an idea is initially submitted, the status could be OPEN-PENDING.
  2. Then, when an Esri Ideas Manager reviews the page, confirms it's in the right place with the right label, and fully understands the idea, they could change the status to OPEN-REVIEWED. Or something better.

What do you think?

With all the hard work the ArcGIS Pro team puts in ( @KoryKramer and @SSWoodward and many others), it seems a shame that users (especially in other communities) are left to assume that their idea has not been heard by Esri in many cases. (Saying "Esri reviews all ideas" is not enough, in my opinion.)

Related: Include existing Under Review status in list of statuses

DaraBurlo
Esri Community Manager

@Bud 

There has been no change at this time. We will be working towards upgrading our platform over the next year and will provide updates if changes are made.

0 Kudos